Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Blew a brake line...

Old 11-24-2015, 08:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Blew a brake line...

Luckily, i was in a parking lot when a brake line decided to give out. Sprayed brake fluid all over the ground while my brake pedal went to the floor! The hard line had rusted through below my driver side door. Two minutes earlier and it could have meant me coming down an exit ramp at 60mph heading into traffic with limited brakes!

I replaced the line, and was bleeding the brakes when..... A second line blew!! This one under the hood. Rust!

Seriously all, check your brake lines. I'm replacing all the brake lines on the truck now.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:50 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Was the brake fluid ever flushed? A common thing with brakes is that folks never change out/flush the brake system. Brake fluid should be completely removed/flushed every two to three years. It collects moisture, and this leads to rust, as you have experienced.
Glad to hear this happened in a parking lot, and not on a highway as you mentioned. Luck was on your side that day!
Old 12-16-2015, 11:02 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I plan on checking all lines. Plus flush the fluid out after we get the motor in. My old 2004 Chevy, I changed out the brake fluid every 3 years. And the power steering fluid every year. AS with the diesel on it, your brakes are tied into the powder steering. As the booster worked off it.
Had a 1973 F100 Ranger camper special, that I had too replace all the lines on it.
Pete
Old 12-17-2015, 12:14 AM

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

What's the chance of an issue if the lines have never been flushed? The outside of the lines look fine but those are literally the only fluid that is still factory in my truck.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:07 PM

Received 143 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by me1234
What's the chance of an issue if the lines have never been flushed? The outside of the lines look fine but those are literally the only fluid that is still factory in my truck.
I would just change the fluid, unless you have money to throw at new brake lines.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:36 PM

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by jstockert
I would just change the fluid, unless you have money to throw at new brake lines.

Yah I'll go do that. I don't have the cash to redo them ***** nilly
Old 12-17-2015, 07:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If the soft lines have not been changed. It may well be worth your time to replace those. Lots of people have issues with soft lines going to the front brakes.
Pete
Old 12-18-2015, 09:44 AM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Brake lines rusting from the inside. Doubt it. I've got numerous rust free old cars. All of them still have the brake lines from the factory. The brake lines rust from the outside in. It's the brine solution the states use that's the culprit. I live in a brine state and did tons of research. The brine is mixed with molasses and beet juice. Which sticks to everything. Will not wash off unless hot water is used. Once it's on the vehicle, moisture reactivates the brine solution over and over unless it gets washed off with hot water. If it never gets washed off, corrosion sets in fast. This stuff should be outlawed but it's cheaper for the state to use. They don't care about our stuff or their own. Just the bottom dollar. Just had a 2012 superduty in with both cab corners rotted off. I do brake lines almost everyday at work. I don't fix cars anymore, just rust. I personally drive junk in the winter or walk. It's a shame to see your hard earned money rot away in less than 5 years. I wonder how long the rebar in the bridges will hold up to the brine solution, how about man hole covers. My suggestion is to stay out of the brine period.
The following 2 users liked this post by TRD-Toy:
me1234 (12-18-2015), petef-150 (12-18-2015)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blew a brake line...