Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

belt whine

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 10:23 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default belt whine

my serpentine belt whines a bit, and sounds like a turbo a bit, and I was wondering if the only cause of the noise would be the belt, or is it could be a bad bearing or something similar on one of the front end components.

but I'm pretty sure that it is the belt.

anyone got any part numbers and tips on replacing it?

cost?

thanks
Old 01-15-2007, 11:30 PM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

If it's the belt that's whining go to NAPA and get a Goodyear Gaterback. On my old 02 it started to whine around 30K and my 05 started to chirp at 12K with full throttle shifts. The dealer replaced the belt and the tensioner on my new truck but at 15K it came back. It's getting worse now at 20K so I'm going to get one soon.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:12 AM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

price?
Old 01-16-2007, 08:34 AM
08 February TOTM

I would guess 20-30 bucks. Check at www.napaonline.com
Old 01-22-2007, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this on a ford site and i remembered your question

Serpentine belts are a great invention but unfortunately they drive everything on a modern engine which places a lot of load on them. When your belt displays any of the following:

-squeals when accelerating.
-chirps constantly
-squeals constantly
-squeals when wet or moist outside
-squeals when cold
-or any combination of the above.

The belt must be replaced, but wait ... If you replace the belt it may stop for a while but then the noise comes back. This is because the old belt was slipping and has polished the pulleys or "glazed" them. So before you replace that noisy belt scrub all of the pulleys well with a scotch brite pad, or a good wire brush to remove the glaze and rough up the surface. Clean them off with brake cleaner afterward. Belts work by friction so if the surface is polished too much the belt will slip. If you have already put on a new belt and it is making noise, -sorry you must buy a new one again. Slipping on the pulleys will glaze a new belt fast which ruins it. Some people say you can apply brake cleaner etc to a new belt to fix it but that may not work well. If it slips it will just mess up your newly cleaned pulleys and you will have to scrub them up all over again. So do the job right and rough up the pulleys AND replace the belt at the same time.

There are a few other things that can cause serpentine belt noise tho so before you replace the belt check the following:
-The bearings in the tensioner and idler pulleys can go bad. To test this put some chalk or whiteout on the edge of those pulleys so it makes a bright "flash" you can see when it rotates. If the chirp is in time with the flash on one of the pulleys most likely you have a bad bearing in that pulley. Sometimes if you have the right tools you can press in a new bearing. Other times you need to get a new assembly. Other accessories can have bad bearings also so you may need to mark and watch them also. WARNING: Never stand in line with a moving belt or fan. If it comes apart etc it could cause severe injury.
-The tensioner can loose it's tension which will cause the belts to slip. If it is easy to move the tensioner then it needs to be replaced and the pulleys cleaned and belt replaced.
-The belt can become delaminated and part of the outer fabric cover can come loose which will "flap" when it hits parts of the engine making a noise. If you hear this tick tick tick noise and it seems to be in time with that printing on the belt then this may be the problem. Always install a serpentine belt so that the cover splice is pushed down by the motion of the belt rather than being peeled upward.
-The belt can crack or delaminate and sections of the inner VVVVV surface may break off and cause mysterious noises. If you see cracks in the inner surface replace the belt.

-Hope this helps!

REMEMBER: NEVER PUT ANY LUBRICANT ON A BELT!!! A lubricant may stop the belt from making noise temporarily but it defeats the purpose of having a belt. You need FRICTION between the belt and pulleys to transfer power. If you lube a belt it changes the frequency of the sound the belt makes to one you can't hear but will not drive the pulleys fast enough and you may end up with a dead battery, dim lights, poor AC, or high engine temps, etc. The slippage and lubricants work together to produce heat in the belt which will destroy the belt rapidly.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:41 PM
08 February TOTM

Originally Posted by 1999snowwhite
I found this on a ford site and i remembered your question

Serpentine belts are a great invention but unfortunately they drive everything on a modern engine which places a lot of load on them. When your belt displays any of the following:

-squeals when accelerating.
-chirps constantly
-squeals constantly
-squeals when wet or moist outside
-squeals when cold
-or any combination of the above.

The belt must be replaced, but wait ... If you replace the belt it may stop for a while but then the noise comes back. This is because the old belt was slipping and has polished the pulleys or "glazed" them. So before you replace that noisy belt scrub all of the pulleys well with a scotch brite pad, or a good wire brush to remove the glaze and rough up the surface. Clean them off with brake cleaner afterward. Belts work by friction so if the surface is polished too much the belt will slip. If you have already put on a new belt and it is making noise, -sorry you must buy a new one again. Slipping on the pulleys will glaze a new belt fast which ruins it. Some people say you can apply brake cleaner etc to a new belt to fix it but that may not work well. If it slips it will just mess up your newly cleaned pulleys and you will have to scrub them up all over again. So do the job right and rough up the pulleys AND replace the belt at the same time.

There are a few other things that can cause serpentine belt noise tho so before you replace the belt check the following:
-The bearings in the tensioner and idler pulleys can go bad. To test this put some chalk or whiteout on the edge of those pulleys so it makes a bright "flash" you can see when it rotates. If the chirp is in time with the flash on one of the pulleys most likely you have a bad bearing in that pulley. Sometimes if you have the right tools you can press in a new bearing. Other times you need to get a new assembly. Other accessories can have bad bearings also so you may need to mark and watch them also. WARNING: Never stand in line with a moving belt or fan. If it comes apart etc it could cause severe injury.
-The tensioner can loose it's tension which will cause the belts to slip. If it is easy to move the tensioner then it needs to be replaced and the pulleys cleaned and belt replaced.
-The belt can become delaminated and part of the outer fabric cover can come loose which will "flap" when it hits parts of the engine making a noise. If you hear this tick tick tick noise and it seems to be in time with that printing on the belt then this may be the problem. Always install a serpentine belt so that the cover splice is pushed down by the motion of the belt rather than being peeled upward.
-The belt can crack or delaminate and sections of the inner VVVVV surface may break off and cause mysterious noises. If you see cracks in the inner surface replace the belt.

-Hope this helps!

REMEMBER: NEVER PUT ANY LUBRICANT ON A BELT!!! A lubricant may stop the belt from making noise temporarily but it defeats the purpose of having a belt. You need FRICTION between the belt and pulleys to transfer power. If you lube a belt it changes the frequency of the sound the belt makes to one you can't hear but will not drive the pulleys fast enough and you may end up with a dead battery, dim lights, poor AC, or high engine temps, etc. The slippage and lubricants work together to produce heat in the belt which will destroy the belt rapidly.
Well said
Old 01-22-2007, 06:35 PM

Received 107 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by whitecrystal1
Well said
X2... nice article
Old 01-31-2007, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hey you guys know your stuff

I replaced the altenator to fix the problem,man do i feel stupid!
Old 02-01-2007, 10:30 AM
08 February TOTM

F1504x4, How did the alternator make a whining sound, what was bad with it that made it whine?
Old 02-03-2007, 05:44 PM

Received 246 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by pro-x-144
my serpentine belt whines a bit, and sounds like a turbo a bit, and I was wondering if the only cause of the noise would be the belt, or is it could be a bad bearing or something similar on one of the front end components.

but I'm pretty sure that it is the belt.

anyone got any part numbers and tips on replacing it?

cost?

thanks
mine sounded the same exact way....totally drove me nuts.
visit one to the dealer, on the way home from work: "It's the idler pulley and/or the tensioner. Recommend you replace the belt and one or both"
actual day i dropped it off for service revealed it was the PCV valve.

Quick Reply: belt whine