Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Battery wont recharge itself...?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Battery wont recharge itself...?!

I have a 97' 4.2L V6 F-150 and the battery keeps dying on me..
I have replaced the alternator twice, replaced the alternator harness, and have replaced the battery twice in the past 2 weeks thinking that one of those would fix the battery problem but it doesnt. I was driving my truck after installing a new battery the previous day and I literally watched my batter gauge drop at a pretty rapid rate and Barely made it home. Right before pulling into my driveway everything shut off and I heard 5 or 6 beeping noises from my truck which i have no idea where they came from?

My question is: Why does the battery not recharge itself?? (and I had the alternator tested and it tested OK.)
Old 05-15-2009, 03:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I actually had the same problem in my '98 F150. The connector to the alternator and the battery might have come undone. Happened to me. Almost replaced both alternator AND battery, but my friend took a look, and viola.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:11 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Assuming the normal maintenance is in good order, speaking of clean battery terminals, need to do some testing of the system. In my 2002 wiring diagrams, there are two fuseable links between the battery and starter motor relay, which feed the B+ terminal of the alternator. These have to be good or will not receive the charge from the alternator. Also in mine there are two fuses in the battery junction box, #11 a 20 amp. and #111 a 40 amp. fuse, these have to be good. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Battery wont recharge itself...?!