Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Bad squeeking when turning wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad squeeking when turning wheel

Squeeking from front end when turning steering wheel, and it's getting worse. Searching this site, I've come to the conclusion that it's the wheel bearings. Although the posts I've found, the symptoms vary slightly from mine. For instance, my problem occurs from steering and what I've found on here tends to occur from braking. Any ideas?
Old 01-26-2008, 11:37 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you sure it's not the fan/serpentine belt or a pulley that is squeeking? That is something that would/could get worse when you are turning since you are putting more strain on those parts.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:47 AM

i have same problem (i think) . mine squeaks as well when slow moving, turning wheel hard like lets say making a u-ey or at parking lots. i dont seem to notice it under normal driving though. the ford people mentioned that to me before and it has something to do with a cap or cup something in the wheels that's worn out. i will call them monday or tues and make sure what that is and i'll get back on you ! (assuming we have the same squeking sound) goodluck
Old 01-27-2008, 08:10 PM

Yes! That sounds exactly like my problem. Only at stops or very slow moving, otherwise it doesnt seem to happen. It's definetly not a belt, this is more like a metal on metal squeek. I crawled under the front and had my wife turn the wheel back and forth, it was still hard to pinpoint because it seems to be coming from a couple of locations. I shot some lubricant on all of the joints and I think it's a little quieter but it's still there. If you find out what it is that would be great. It's quite emabarassing because the truck doesnt look like it's 80 years old. But sounds like one in parking lots.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:13 PM

how about your ball joints. Are they greasable? If they are squeeking that bad they are beyond grease but you could pump some grease into them and see if the squeek goes away. Or any other 'joint' under your truck.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:27 PM

hi!
unfortunately i wasn't able to contact the ford service center i frequent to. my apologies. i should be able to do so this week.
for the mean time goodluck with the sound and keep us updated. i am having that sound for about a year now. they told me it wasnt that serious.

cheers
Old 01-29-2008, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by 02xtr
how about your ball joints. Are they greasable? If they are squeeking that bad they are beyond grease but you could pump some grease into them and see if the squeek goes away. Or any other 'joint' under your truck.

" ball joints dried out" I agree ..........they will squeek.

Quick Reply: Bad squeeking when turning wheel