Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

bad me, power washed! misfire and service engine??

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad me, power washed! misfire and service engine??

Yep, I power washed the engine. I thought I was pretty careful. Started off stumbling, 30 minutes later service engine late came on. Phoned Ford and mechanic said I needed to pull out each coil and get water off. Warned me that gas was running rich and if light started to blink to stop driving immediately. I was heading to the airport, hit 70 mph, it blinked four times, I slowed down and light was still on but stopped blinking. Do we agree with what he says? So is there anything I can do to fix this problem and what exactly did I do to my truck. I abandoned it and got a ride to the airport. It is a 1999 f150 4x4 supercab, v8 4.6L. I am somewhat mechanical, but can someone tell me what do as if I wasn't.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:28 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by gfireboy22
Yep, I power washed the engine. I thought I was pretty careful. Started off stumbling, 30 minutes later service engine late came on. Phoned Ford and mechanic said I needed to pull out each coil and get water off. Warned me that gas was running rich and if light started to blink to stop driving immediately. I was heading to the airport, hit 70 mph, it blinked four times, I slowed down and light was still on but stopped blinking. Do we agree with what he says? So is there anything I can do to fix this problem and what exactly did I do to my truck. I abandoned it and got a ride to the airport. It is a 1999 f150 4x4 supercab, v8 4.6L. I am somewhat mechanical, but can someone tell me what do as if I wasn't.
I agree that you got water in the spark plug holes and you need to clean them out. I agree that they will cause a misfire and this could in worse case scenario cause engine damage.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:55 PM

Default power washing sucks

Originally Posted by NGM
I agree that you got water in the spark plug holes and you need to clean them out. I agree that they will cause a misfire and this could in worse case scenario cause engine damage.
I have a 99 with 400,000 miles...no check engine...no power washing.... i control y auomatic shifts and never over 2000 rpms... i drive and ver go over 2000 rpms....my truc runs perfect....ust recently installed navigation...and 15" dvd system...////

the trick to a surviving truck....ake sure that you control the shift of a automatic tranfer case....never go over 2000 rpms on these trucks....i have over 400,000 miles and passes california smog with perfect numbers.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:14 PM
Mr. J. Bauer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 97 Ford and I've had that problem when I washed the motor but not with a power washer. I got water into the spark plug holes so I pulled the wired of and blew air into each hole (with the plug still in) got as much water out as i could and let it sit for a couple of hours to let in dry good. Then I pulled all the plugs and replaced them (needed it anyway) I also put new wires on too, haven't had a problem since and that was probably 5,000 miles ago. My ford has a little over 218,000 miles on it.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:08 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by madmanski
I have a 99 with 400,000 miles...no check engine...no power washing.... i control y auomatic shifts and never over 2000 rpms... i drive and ver go over 2000 rpms....my truc runs perfect....ust recently installed navigation...and 15" dvd system...////

the trick to a surviving truck....ake sure that you control the shift of a automatic tranfer case....never go over 2000 rpms on these trucks....i have over 400,000 miles and passes california smog with perfect numbers.
Who are you and why are you here??? Are you even from this country?? I have a headache now and I want that last 2 mins of my life back.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by NGM
Who are you and why are you here??? Are you even from this country?? I have a headache now and I want that last 2 mins of my life back.
o a
What do you mean why am I here....I can be here and participate in all replies that I want...Who am I....? I'm the guy with a truck who will out run yours in the long run...I'm the guy with the truck that runs and does not hesitate....I'm the guy with a truck who has 400000 miles with no check engine....I'm the guy with the better truck....

Thats who I am@!!!!

Have a nice day...
Old 11-17-2007, 01:52 PM
Mr. J. Bauer

Buddy we understand that you can be here for any reason you want but we're not here to brag up our trucks we're all here to give each other tips about what is or might be the problem with our trucks and just help each other out with general questions. Who really cares if your truck is faster, I use mine for pulling and hauling, likes it was designed for, not racing. That's why I have a drag car.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by bigredford
Buddy we understand that you can be here for any reason you want but we're not here to brag up our trucks we're all here to give each other tips about what is or might be the problem with our trucks and just help each other out with general questions. Who really cares if your truck is faster, I use mine for pulling and hauling, likes it was designed for, not racing. That's why I have a drag car.
My point was that its not a good idea to wash you engine...It might be fine cleaning it with a wet cloth but not a power washer...

Good luck guys and keep on trucking....
Old 11-17-2007, 09:12 PM
Jan 2008 TOTM & Gdreject

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by madmanski

Congratulations, would you like a cookie?
Old 11-18-2007, 12:01 AM
Mr. J. Bauer

Very nice squirtbottle09, funny. LOL

Quick Reply: bad me, power washed! misfire and service engine??