Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Anyone installed Aribags in F150 after they were deployed

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone installed Aribags in F150 after they were deployed

I have a ‘99 Ford F150 and both airbags were deployed when pulling a stump. I already have a used but “never been deployed” airbag module and both airbags for my truck but I wonder if simply replacing the airbag module and reconnecting/installing the airbags is all I need. Should I be aware of any steps that I Must Do? I am afraid that once I replace the airbag module and plug the airbags, they will instantly deploy!? Thanks for you advice.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:07 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

TAKE IT TO A QUALIFIED SHOP. AIR BAGS ARE DANGEROUS. THEY CAN BE SET OFF WITH STATIC ELECTRICITY!!!!!!
Old 04-18-2007, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know here in this part of Canada you do not have to put the airbags back in even to sell it. I am not a fan of airbags, they suck if you are playing bumper tag with your buddies on the winter roads......lol...lol
Old 04-18-2007, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by NGM
TAKE IT TO A QUALIFIED SHOP. AIR BAGS ARE DANGEROUS. THEY CAN BE SET OFF WITH STATIC ELECTRICITY!!!!!!

x2 i fully agree they are real tricky to deal with and you have to be real carful about the static elctricity charge
Old 04-18-2007, 08:07 PM

I am going to disconnect the battery, replace the airbags but not plug in the new airbag module. The old one is not working since it has once deployed the airbags. I will then go to the dealer and have them just replace the module and inspect the whole airbag sytem. They want 400-500$ to do all the work which is a lot of money.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:18 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by johny1
I am going to disconnect the battery, replace the airbags but not plug in the new airbag module. The old one is not working since it has once deployed the airbags. I will then go to the dealer and have them just replace the module and inspect the whole airbag sytem. They want 400-500$ to do all the work which is a lot of money.
Think about it this way 400-500 dollars or having an airbag blow up in your face hurting or possibly killing you..Hmmmm. Tough decision. When I order an airbag from the dealer there are NUMEROUS warnings on the Electronic parts catalog on handling them and shipping them. Let them do it for you don't risk it. The module doesn't have to be plugged in to pop the air bag. Disconnecting the ground will not stop static electricity. My techs won't even probe SRS systems with a Multi Meter because of the risk of the meter setting it off. They have been doing things like that since airbags first came out. I trust what they have to say.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:19 PM

Smile

OK, OK ,OK…., I took a chance, did it myself and it worked great – maybe I got lucky but I don’t think airbag are as fragile as you think. They are designed to be banged on pretty hard aseptically when you are frustrated and hitting the airbag honking to someone, also when you put your feet on the dash or being hit from the side (they won’t always deploy). I agree with the static electricity and maybe I got lucky but I just plugged them in, I don’t test them or mess with the connectors. Anyway here is what I did:

I unplugged the battery (both connectors) and waited few minutes. I first proceeded with replacing the airbag module (some of them are located in the right kick panel but on my 99 F150 it was on the floor right in the middle behind the black cover). It is held by 3 bolts and comes off pretty easily. I bought it on ebay.com used for 34$ - you have to use a new module every time the airbags are deployed!!! I then mounted and plugged the steering wheel airbag – very easy, two bolts hold it on the back of the steering wheel. After that I removed the passenger side airbag – open the glove compartment and bend it far down to reveal two bolts up at the top that you need to unscrew. Then, remove the plastic cover on top of the dash – looks like a long kidney along the top of the dash where you would put stuff that you don’t want rolling around – I shoved a screw driver in the seam of it and it comes off very easy as it is held with several clips. Once you remove it, look from the top and you will find a 3rd bolt holding the airbag. Once all 3 bolts are removed, unplug the connector and it comes off very easily. I mounted the new airbag (reverse order) and plugged the connector. I then connected the battery, started the vehicle and “MIRACLE”, everything worked just perfect! Even the airbag light is NOT ON anymore. The dealer said that they have to make the computer to recognize the new bags and module – bull****, they are scammers, all of them!!! They also lied that it takes 3-4 hours to mount, it took me 1 hour. That is it – good luck! I will take it to the dealer to get it inspected, just in case.

Thanks for all your concerns and advise

Trending Topics

Old 12-04-2011, 01:05 PM

Default Question about the airbags

It`s great that you had it all worked out!. I also have my 99' bags deployed and I don't seem to find 99' bags anywere. My question is if I can use some other year model?.
Thanks...
Old 12-04-2011, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by NGM
Think about it this way 400-500 dollars or having an airbag blow up in your face hurting or possibly killing you..Hmmmm. Tough decision. When I order an airbag from the dealer there are NUMEROUS warnings on the Electronic parts catalog on handling them and shipping them. Let them do it for you don't risk it. The module doesn't have to be plugged in to pop the air bag. Disconnecting the ground will not stop static electricity. My techs won't even probe SRS systems with a Multi Meter because of the risk of the meter setting it off. They have been doing things like that since airbags first came out. I trust what they have to say.

Why would you have your face infront of the bag while connecting the module? How could you have your face infront of a bag when connecting the battery?

You're literally shouting pure unfounded paranoia in here. Static electricity is in the air all around, always. It doesn't magically appear at the very moment of plugging in a non-powered harness. If simple static could set them off, they would not exist plain and simple. I usually use a car battery to pop bags, never tried using even a 9v, but I wonder if even that would work.

BTW, another flaw in this logic.... Where exactly would you assume one's face would be at the moment of an actual collision, when a bag is intended to deploy?

Originally Posted by negritosanto
It`s great that you had it all worked out!. I also have my 99' bags deployed and I don't seem to find 99' bags anywere. My question is if I can use some other year model?.
Thanks...
Any year with the exact same steering wheel and dash. It just has to fit. The srs module does all the work of deciding when to detonate, then sends a basic electrical jolt to the bag. Bags aren't sophisticated, basically a dumb bomb.

Last edited by Jaytheredneck1; 12-04-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jaytheredneck1
Any year with the exact same steering wheel and dash. It just has to fit. The srs module does all the work of deciding when to detonate, then sends a basic electrical jolt to the bag. Bags aren't sophisticated, basically a dumb bomb.

Thanks Jay!

Quick Reply: Anyone installed Aribags in F150 after they were deployed