Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Anyone ever replace a clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 01:55 PM
'97 3door 4x4 5speed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Anyone ever replace a clutch?

I need to hear from someone who has successfully replaced a clutch on a 5-speed '97 (ish) 4.6L 4x4. My mechanic is telling me that the clutch Ford recommends isn't working and if I could find the name of a clutch that works he'll stand by his guarantee and replace it. I'm ripping my hair out over this, please help!!

I also wouldn't mind hearing from someone who has had this same problem: new clutch engages instantly - as soon as the pedal comes off the floor.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:44 PM
O.T. Mobil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds more like a slave/master cylinder problem than a clutch problem.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:12 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Yup does to me too.
Bleed the heck outta the clutch.. Also did he have the flywheel turned? If so did he install a shim to compensate for the thickness of the flywheel that was cut?
Old 01-21-2008, 07:55 PM
'97 3door 4x4 5speed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I appreciate the input, but my mechanic still says it's the clutch. Anyone ever replace one before? And if so, what product did you use?
Old 01-21-2008, 10:46 PM
O.T. Mobil

Exclamation F-150 clutch

I've replaced plenty of clutches on the f-series. I don't think I've done a 4x4 though. The main difference would be the tailshaft and transfer case. The clutch should not be any different. If your problem is as you say, you may want to change mechanics. Clutch Theory 101 might go a little something this...
The concept of a manual transmission's clutch is fairly simple. Your pedal is an extension of the clutch mechanism. The clutch is a plate with material bonded to it to provide a gripping surface (on both sides) that link your engine's flywheel and transmission's input shaft together, using a pressure plate. (Google images will get you better picture than I can draw)
When the clutch is pushed in, you release spring tension from the clutch plate, disconnecting the link to your trans. When the clutch pedal is released, the pressure plate is allowed to pin the clutch back to the flywheel, engaging the trans. the link from your pedal to your clutch is usually one of three methods.
1) Mechanical; linkage and or cables
2) Hydraulic; just like brakes-(this is what you have)
3) pnuematic; It's not worth the time to explain it-besides, it's almost obsolete
Since the job of the cluth is to engage the the transmission, we can logicly deduce that the clutch is not your problem. The method in which we use to disengage the trans is the culprit. 14 new clutches won't fix the problem.
The hydraulic system Ford likes to use on the F-150 (mid-90s), for lack of better term, sucks! If you have to replace the slave cylinder, this involves complete removal of the transmission. Sorry guys, almost every truck company out there had a better idea for slave cylinders. (just my two cents)
Hope this helps. Good luck!

Last edited by s058svc; 01-21-2008 at 10:52 PM. Reason: perfectionist
Old 11-01-2014, 09:15 PM

Hi I changed trannys from Mazda to ZF now my mechanic says the flywheel not thick enough for clutch slave to do its job I bairly had it machined my hair is all riped out now so lost any help

Quick Reply: Anyone ever replace a clutch?