Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

another gem 4x4 problem question

Old 03-05-2015, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default another gem 4x4 problem question

Thanx for you guys being here!..So I had had the 4x4 engagement problem about a year ago ( would sometimes work and then not)... I removed the gem and washed it with electronic cleaner and blew it of..sprayed contact cleaner on all the contacts..reassembled and all was well for a year or so..now again..I noticed that if i disconnect the battery for a minute or so and reconnect it would work..would engage in 4 high and low..but would then not disengage unless i disconnected the batt. again..sounds like the gem is being reset with each disc. of the battery..so I assume the gem has finally gone bad..what do you guys think?.. Thanx! 1997 f150 4.6 lariat 4x4 e.s.o.f..stepside.. loaded..had this truck since 1998 and i love it!

Last edited by forrest3; 03-05-2015 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:34 PM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

Bad GEM and possibility of corrosion inside the fuse box due to leaking front windshield. I'm having the same issue. Its also quicker to just pull the turn signal/4wd/GEM 10a fuse.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Carcrazygts2
Bad GEM and possibility of corrosion inside the fuse box due to leaking front windshield. I'm having the same issue. Its also quicker to just pull the turn signal/4wd/GEM 10a fuse.
Thanx,,pulling the fuse is a much better idea! anyway..no leaking from the windshield on this truck...no corrosion..the gem part # is F65B-14B205-Cb..from what I read I can use a cc or cd .. am I right? and is ebay the best place to find these? Thanx a bunch!
Old 03-05-2015, 06:46 PM

Sorry to inform you but the only way a GEM goes bad is when the front windshield starts leaking on the driver side. Its when it gets wet it takes out electrical components. The windshield leaks and runs right down the main harness's that plug into the gem.

Even if you find the same exact gem part number you will still need to get it programmed. Here is the updated part number from ford for trucks equipped with ESoF. F85Z14B205NA
Old 03-05-2015, 07:08 PM

Sorry to inform you but the only way a GEM goes bad is when the front windshield starts leaking on the driver side. Its when it gets wet it takes out electrical components. The windshield leaks and runs right down the main harness's that plug into the gem.

Even if you find the same exact gem part number you will still need to get it programmed. Here is the updated part number from ford for trucks equipped with ESoF. F85Z14B205NA
Thanx,,well I'm lost for words..the only issue I can find is with the gem...everything works when I reset the power..I did this a dozen times or so..did not find any evidence of moisture etc. I own a classic car restoration shop and have a full line of tools etc.. I even have the "2 foot" thick factory manuals (1 and 2) with the e.v.t.m manual, ..all parts for the 4x4 (relays, solenoids, vacuum are functional..just have to reset the gem each time for it to work..soo..I don't have the STAR reader..have a obd can bus reader though..what does a dealer charge (approx) to program the new gem? I have not had ANY one else work on any of my cars/trucks (newer to 2014 to my good 'ol f150) in the last 35 years..proud to say..I guess this may be my first time? can I program it myself? I have a electronics degree if needed! Thank you very much for all your expertise!

Last edited by forrest3; 03-05-2015 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:31 PM

Dealer charged me $200 to reprogram the gem. I had installed the new one before hand. They can program it with the Ford IDS. They get the correct coding from a vin search.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:46 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

What's the deal with the programming? I replaced the GEM in mine a few months ago and did not have it programmed. There is no perceptible change in the way it runs.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by twoskinsoneman
What's the deal with the programming? I replaced the GEM in mine a few months ago and did not have it programmed. There is no perceptible change in the way it runs.
You must have gotten lucky and the replacement you recieved had the same exact programming code. I didnt and had to have it reprogrammed, because 4wd didnt work, and the windows didnt work.
The following users liked this post:
twoskinsoneman (03-06-2015)
Old 03-06-2015, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by twoskinsoneman
Thanx guys.. I read around the internet of others that did not have to program...sometimes the gem is listed what it came out of and the options it had..might get lucky also! I t my be that car crazy got a new one that was not programmed at all yet..Thanx!

Last edited by forrest3; 03-06-2015 at 08:38 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: another gem 4x4 problem question