Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Another crank no start...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another crank no start...

I have an 03 5.4. So far I've changed the fuel pump and PCM relays, fuel pump, fuel filter, cleaned IAC, checked for vacuum leaks, and verified my fuel rail pressure (35psi and 40psi @ key-on). It always starts cold fine, but after driving for a while it won't start after I turn it off. For example getting gas or running into the house real quick. I pretty much have to let it sit for about 30 min before it will start. It cranks fine, just no start. The check engine like has never come on, yet the code reader gave me a P0230 for Fuel Pump Circuit Malfunction. The scan tool's solution... Change PCM! Any thoughts? Another thing I noticed is even while the engine is running I can disconnect things like TP sensor, IAC sensor, or even the relays without it throwing a check eng light. I sure hope you gays can give me some ideas. I've yet to find a thread where changing the PCM was the solution to the problem... most get out easy with just changing the relay.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:21 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You getting what they call a hot soak condition.
With the window open next time , listen closely for the sound of the fuel pump pressurizing at the back of the truck. If you don't hear it ; I think the fuel pump controller is mounted on a frame rail close to the spare tire, check for power going to the pump out of the relay.

The crank position sensor can give a no start hot problem as well, but there would probably be some kind of code stored.
The PCM or main computer almost never fail on cars/trucks in my experience.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by santa06
You getting what they call a hot soak condition.
With the window open next time , listen closely for the sound of the fuel pump pressurizing at the back of the truck. If you don't hear it ; I think the fuel pump controller is mounted on a frame rail close to the spare tire, check for power going to the pump out of the relay.

The crank position sensor can give a no start hot problem as well, but there would probably be some kind of code stored.
The PCM or main computer almost never fail on cars/trucks in my experience.
I think the controller you're talking about is on the '04s and up. I have seen a lot of posts about that. I dropped my tank Sunday and don't remember seeing a controller on the frame. I'm so reluctant to believe it's the PCM as well... and it's confusing the crap out of me why I'm not getting CELs. I should be throwing all kinds of codes with as much stuff I've unplugged, especially while it was running.

Last edited by BigGreenFX4; 03-01-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:21 PM

Anyone have this issue and may have a solution?

Quick Reply: Another crank no start...