Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Android Double din

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 12:53 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Android Double din

I was asked to do a write up on the Double din radio I was going to buy.
Figured Id start the thread now and update it later.

Model: Eonon GA2114
I don't know if its okay to post links to this?

Bought it today around 9am cst. Also came with a backup camera. $229 shipped.
Has the lower of the two display options 800x480 instead of 1020x600. But that saved me $100.

Should be here by Wednesday, from Hong Kong.
I'll update with actual pictures after its installed.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:47 AM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I bought a similar unit, and it came with the booklet for a CDDVD set up and I ordered mine without. I was going to go with a Nexus 7 and had everything set and ready, until my son pointed this out to me. He bought it for me for Christmas, so I've been trying to get the right manual for the past week or so.

The one he ordered had the leads coming out like yours. The one I was shipped, was an updated unit with RCA plugs at the back, instead of the plug in harnesses. There is only so much room and I want to cut the least to fit this in. The dash reinforcement piece, definitely has to be cut out to fit this radio in. Luckily I remembered I had removed mine already when I installed the Escape Navigation head. Other than the correct wiring schematic, I'm good to go now. There are 2 wires extra in this radio, and they are another red and yellow. I don't want to take a chance with weird, multiple same colored wires to different things, without any markings. The speakers, were simple/ The other 10 wires, not 8, like the book shows, is where I'm concerned. I think I'll wait with this. lol

Think of all the stuff you can add with this radio. Cameras, Video capture, audio recording, internet, picture and file sharing, and the list goes on. I think you have a great idea with this and hope that this unit works like you planned. I'm hoping that for mine. Keep us up to date please on your pros and cons with your new head. PS. Will you post up your wiring schematic once your radio arrives. It may help me or others down the road. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:51 AM

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Oh im definitely watching this.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:43 AM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

This is the face of the one I got for Christmas. Note that there are NO button or *****. This is a complete touch screen. Basically this is my Galaxy S5 in a larger case.

I'm adding a SD/TF/USB hub along with another 4 port hub for my sourcing. One will have a 64GB card for my MP3's, another is a 32GB flash drive for additional storage and to use for RAM if necessary. Since it has WiFi and Bluetooth and GPS already, it makes it easy to use the ports for about anything and have it at my fingertips. CD/DVD aren't necessary, because of the slots. I can put any movie on a TF card and plug it into the front for easy access.

It has steering wheel control function, but my F150 doesn't have those, YET. I have a 2000 Navigator sw, and will switch it out in the spring. I'll add my 4 wires to the harness to make the swc's work. If I need a clockspring, then I'll change that when necessary. I've read where this c/s will work, but haven't had that apart to check for my self. Right now, I could do all the swc's thru my cell phone, so until it's in the truck and set right, the swc's can wait. lol

Camera (s) are capable for front and rear. I have a back up lines camera for the rear and will take my rear camera (now) and move it to the front, so I have a dash camera also. As far as the capture? I'll use a CAP-card. They are about 15 on eBay and they will set the image and save it to one of my extra SD cards on the hub. I could also put it to the flash drive or even the TF slot on the front. I think I'll just make the hub readily accessable and use that for video, and keep the front slot for things for the grandkids to watch or play games on. I have a wireless game controller that is usable with this head, so he can play Angry Birds Pop in the back seat. I may run a secondary head (cheap, about 20 on eBay to the seat back so it is easier for him to watch, and I can block the front so it doesn't bother me. It should work out good. I bought a new Explorer DVD unit for the back seats for $32 NEW in kit, on ebay and may just install that, and hook it to this head. That would be probably the best way to do it. This is what I bought in dark charcoal. Or the TFT screens and run a cable to the head. So many easy ways to do this with an Android head. I'm gonna love it if I ever get my wiring instructs for those 2 extra wires. I'm sure they have a major purpose. lol
Attached Images    

Last edited by akdoggie; 01-16-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:42 AM

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm very curious about the sound quality/power and function of these. Typically the Chinese knockoffs (I'm NOT talking down your purchase, to prove it I'm considering one myself but let's call a spade a spade look the part but rarely perform anywhere near OK. Please PLEASE let us know how you like it. How does it sound, hows the lag when changing apps, bluetooth mic's ability to pick up your voice over road noise, touchscreen sensitivity/response ect ect.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by tcrote5516
I'm very curious about the sound quality/power and function of these. Typically the Chinese knockoffs (I'm NOT talking down your purchase, to prove it I'm considering one myself but let's call a spade a spade look the part but rarely perform anywhere near OK. Please PLEASE let us know how you like it. How does it sound, hows the lag when changing apps, bluetooth mic's ability to pick up your voice over road noise, touchscreen sensitivity/response ect ect.
I'll tell you the built in mic is crap from what i've read on xda. I don't plan on making calls from this.

Last edited by Zebracakes; 01-16-2016 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:19 PM

akdoggie: This might help you out.

The following users liked this post:
akdoggie (01-22-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 04:49 PM

The radio arrived today, To cold to install it. So it's sitting my kitchen table hooked up to a sound bar and power supply. I hooked it up via rca cables so I can't really comment on the non-powered speakers yet. Pictures and such will be up later after work tonight.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:23 PM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

This is kind of awesome! lol

Apple should make an aftermarket head unit/car play!
Old 01-20-2016, 02:15 AM

Little update:
First thing I did was cut the plug off the wiring harness. It's a universal fit radio so my best guess to why its there is because they use it for testing the radio. They say they test all radios before shipping.

Here's a picture of the front. You can tell the true double din is taller.
I was watching a youtube video before taking pictures. Sounds good with the sound bar hooked up to rca outputs. the fader works with rca outputs.

I was thinking about putting the hardware from the android radio into the factory radio housing. The android radio is pretty much empty inside, Doesn't need to be that tall. If I did that, it would keep the dash cutting to a minimum. If I decide to do that i'll post some pics.

Neat feature of this unit is that the hard buttons on the side can change colors.

Quick Reply: Android Double din