Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Amp and subwoofer install

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp and subwoofer install

I have a 2003 ford f150 xlt 4.2 extended how and were did you guys run you power wire and place your amp thanks.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:44 PM

Received 797 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc19p
I have a 2003 ford f150 xlt 4.2 extended how and were did you guys run you power wire and place your amp thanks.
I placed mine behind the rear seat in the middle. Used some 3M tape to secure it against the cab wall. Ran my power wire from the Battery, under the roof, through the rubber grommet on the firewall that comes out under the steering column on the inside, through the driver side kick panel, under the rocker covers, around the frame of the back seat and into the amp. Scrape some paint away on the rear cab wall and mounted the ground screw. Ran the head unit wire down the passenger side if I recall.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by fordguy2100
I placed mine behind the rear seat in the middle. Used some 3M tape to secure it against the cab wall. Ran my power wire from the Battery, under the roof, through the rubber grommet on the firewall that comes out under the steering column on the inside, through the driver side kick panel, under the rocker covers, around the frame of the back seat and into the amp. Scrape some paint away on the rear cab wall and mounted the ground screw. Ran the head unit wire down the passenger side if I recall.
good idea going through roof, I just learned something new!
Old 11-01-2015, 11:23 AM

pics please and how big of an amp are you running
Old 11-01-2015, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Doc19p
pics please and how big of an amp are you running
If you still need them in a week I'll get them lol Trucks in the shop for some warranty work right now, should get it back next weekend.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:56 PM

If you still need them in a week I'll get them lol Trucks in the shop for some warranty work right now, should get it back next weekend.
Ya appreciate bro
Old 11-02-2015, 07:35 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got 2 Sundown SA-12s in a custom ported box tuned to 35hz behind the seat in my regular cab. Amp is a Crescendo b2000.1 under the seat. 0 gauge power and ground. Also did the big 3 and put an AGM battery under the hood. Voltage doesn't drop below 13.8.

As far as running your power wire...just run it through the grommet in the firewall on the drivers side. Then down the side of the drivers side to the amp. Make sure you run your RCAs down the opposite side. I ran my ground wire to a screw way down deep on the back wall on the drivers side. It's located in the bottom corner of the cab if that makes sense. Keeps the ground nice and short (about 10"). Pretty easy install, and lots of folks are amazed at what I was able to fit in a single cab without doing a blow through.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DaytonLax14
I've got 2 Sundown SA-12s in a custom ported box tuned to 35hz behind the seat in my regular cab. Amp is a Crescendo b2000.1 under the seat. 0 gauge power and ground. Also did the big 3 and put an AGM battery under the hood. Voltage doesn't drop below 13.8.

As far as running your power wire...just run it through the grommet in the firewall on the drivers side. Then down the side of the drivers side to the amp. Make sure you run your RCAs down the opposite side. I ran my ground wire to a screw way down deep on the back wall on the drivers side. It's located in the bottom corner of the cab if that makes sense. Keeps the ground nice and short (about 10"). Pretty easy install, and lots of folks are amazed at what I was able to fit in a single cab without doing a blow through.
What exactly does it matter if you run your RCA cables with your power and remote wire? I have all my wires running down the passenger side rocker panel. Is it a big issue? Something I need to change?
Old 11-02-2015, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by abeckmann96
What exactly does it matter if you run your RCA cables with your power and remote wire? I have all my wires running down the passenger side rocker panel. Is it a big issue? Something I need to change?
A lot of the times you'll get noise in your setup if you run them together. If you don't personally have any issue with your quality then you should be fine. If you're wondering why it doesn't just sound amazing or why you can't every get it to be tuned just right, it could be because you're getting noise between the wires. Best practices is you run them separate but not (always) necessary
Old 11-02-2015, 10:10 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If it's not a big hassle, I'd run the RCAs down the other side. Here's my completed build log

https://www.f150forum.com/f30/2002-s...enwood-319525/

You can get a LOT of sound if you are willing to sacrifice a little bit of space.

Quick Reply: Amp and subwoofer install