Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Alignment Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 11:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Alignment Question

So I just recently (100 miles ago) replaced my tires because they were pretty bad. I noticed on the two fronts that both outer edges on each tire was worn much more than the middle tread and inner tread. Keep in mind that my driving is on extremely curvy and hilly roads. Not sure if that makes a difference or not, just throwing it out there. I'm going to replace the needed parts to correct this issue ASAP. The way I see it, if it's not broken, don't fix it. I'm not looking to rebuild my entire front end. I'm only looking to replace what is need and then proceed to get an alignment of course. So i was just thinking of doing the inner/outer tie rods. Will this be good enough? Or will I need to replace other parts? Or do I just need an alignment?
Thanks, this forum has really helped me in so many ways!
Old 07-06-2015, 12:49 AM

Received 185 Likes on 179 Posts

It may be something as simple as you didn't have the correct pressure in the tires. How often did you check it?

I would take your truck to an alignment shop and see if it does need an alignment, and then if it does not get the ball joints, and ti rods checked. You can usually tell these yourself by jacking up the front and pulling (6 -12 for ball joints, and 3-9 for tirods) on the tire.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:47 AM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

Edge wear is caused by toe changes in the suspension. These truck the geometry is so poor its best to replace it all at one time.

Quick Reply: Alignment Question