Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

alarm rings when I open the door.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alarm rings when I open the door.

Hi I have a 98 f150 and the alarm rings when I open the drivers door. It acts just like if you left your lights on but they are definetely off. The alarm will continue after I shut the door for about 30 seconds and goes off. I`m stumped. Any ideas why it would be doing this?
Old 09-14-2008, 10:15 AM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's how you can disable the chime altogether: [internet write up]
1. (How to disable the door chime when ignition is off): Use a Phillips screwdriver to take the 3 screws out from the bottom of the steering column cover. After you take them out and pull back the bottom cover, look inside and underneath you will see wires located by the ignition switch. One of which is black with a pink purple-ish stripe, kind of by itself. You now have two options: cut the wire (after cutting, use electrical tape on exposed wire) or just un-clip it from where it connects to the ignition (un-clipping it was easier for me) *Doing this procedure made the chime sound, twice as fast and twice as annoying with the head lamps on and the ignition off--->leading me to take this action:

2. (How to disable the chime when the ignition is off and the headlights are on): Act like you are about to turn on the headlights and instead of turning them on, give that switch a slight pull and the small panel should pop out. Now behind that front switch panel is a secondary panel that needs to come out. You can either pry it out with a flat head screwdriver, or the easy way: using your right thumb and your index finger, there is a spring loaded release lever located directly in the middle, that you can pinch to easily pull out. (Thumb on spring loaded release and index finger on dimmer ****, just pinch and pull. After getting the secondary panel out you will see on the back side are two separate wire plugs with five wires in each. Unplug the one on the left. There is going to be 3 wires on bottom and 2 on top. The colors of the bottom wires are from left to right: (1): dark brownish, blackish (2): dark tan (3): Orange---->Then on top are 2 wires from left to right (1): blue with white strip (2) yellow with red stripe. Now snip that yellow with red stripe wire 2 inches back and tape it with electrical tape to make sure the wire is not exposed...it's just that easy! I tested the wires and the the yellow/red wire only controls the chime.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks Torkum

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: alarm rings when I open the door.