Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

ABS help needed.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ABS help needed.

I have a 97 f150 5.4l with some brake issues. When I'm turning left in to a parking space at a low speed, my brakes will lockout. Meaning I can't push the pedal down to stop. The brake also pulses like the abs system is activated. My mechanic said I had some chewed up wires that were shorting out and causing this issue. This only happens on sharp, low speed turns like in parking lots. There are no abs codes popping up. The recommended fix was to replace the abs wiring harness and a new wheel bearing(not sure if they're related). Has anyone else had experience with a similar issue and could offer some insight? Thanks in advance!

Josh
Old 09-17-2015, 08:19 PM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Your experiencing what is called ABS unwanted activation. 1 of the speed sensors is dropping off speed too rapidly (by data) causing the module to think it's locking a tire up and activates the ABS. Pedal goes to the floor and feels like won't stop right. Most likely is caused by wiring problems or the sensor to exciter ring gap is too excessive slightly. Sometimes this won't set a code. Have to watch live data while driving real slow to see what wheel is the problem. Then track it down from there.
Lots of experience with these problems, especially Chevy! Is a recall from GM but for some reason GM thinks MN doesn't use salt. MN isn't on the list so they won't cover it, I fix maybe 1-2 a week. Now it's brake lines (all of them). GM sells there brake line kit for less than $100 bucks so no need for a recall. 4-5 hrs later. Brakes again. Had 2 silverados fold the frame while on the hoist at work, scary! Same steel used on submarines, I call bull****!!! 99-up are just garbage. Go GM! I'd be out of work by noon if it weren't for you.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't push the pedal to the floor at all. The brakes get super stiff but your explanation does make some sense.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:15 AM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

It is safer to pull the ABS fuse til you get the speed sensor fixed. Will shut down the ABS and will have standard brakes at that point. Should have predictable brakes then. Lots safer in the parking lot anyways. What I would do!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABS help needed.