Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

ABS Fuse

Old 10-02-2011, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool ABS Fuse

Hi all, I'm just new to the forum and have been reading through the ABS brake threads. I am having issues on coming to a complete stop where the ABS kicks in at around 10km/hr, it is random but consistent. I have read what can be possibly causing this, such as dirty sensors etc. I am wanting to disable the ABS until I can get it into a dealership to be assessed. My question is, is there not a way to just disable the ABS without disabling other things. I have pulled fuse #23 according to the manual but this also disables my signal lights. I see there are a lot of posts that say to simply remove the fuse, well this truck doesn't seem to have one specific to ABS.

I have a 2003 F150 Supercrew. All new rotors and pads installed a few days ago. I initially went to a shop to see about this problem and thought maybe new brakes would fix things (the truck needed new brakes anyway). So now I'm no further ahead and really need to get this looked at before the snow flies. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. What about the fuse box under the hood, would it be wise to do anything there??

Thanks in advance! :-)
Old 10-02-2011, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont quote me on this, but I believe the main ABS fuse is located under the hood and should be specific to only your ABS, the light on your dash for the ABS system will stay lit. And as a suggestion dont go to a dealer to get it fixed. Have a shop run the ABS scan tool on it and find out the issue, likely itll be a sensor malfuntion. And the easiest more certain fix for that is to buy new wheel bearings, the sensors alone are expensive and its just easier to do the whole hub assembly. just my $0.02
Old 10-03-2011, 06:46 PM

Thanks PO'd :-) I did see that fuse 102 which is under the hood does apply to the ABS, I will double check with the shop here before I spend any money. I am considering temporarily disabling the ABS until I can afford to have it properly fixed. I just replaced all 4 rotars, pads and a few other "thingy's" that amounted to 1100 bucks so .....need to save up for the next round. Thanks again for the help, will try fuse 102 :-) Have a great day!

Ann
Old 10-03-2011, 07:07 PM

If it is an ABS Wheel speed Sensor, you wont have to replace the whole hub assy. My driver front went out on my 99 5.4L 2wd not too long ago. Not hard to do, just an 8mm bolt holding it in on one side & unhooked in the engine department. I still had to pull the hub assy out because my sensor was stuck in there good and had to beat it out. Not proud of doing that. I went ahead and repacked my bearings while I was at it. Only cost me $55 motorcraft and an hours worth of work.

If you cant find the fuse, could you just unhook the ABS unit through the electric connection? Either through the fuse or electrical connection the ABS light will fly, if it already hasnt.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:42 PM

Hi 03Fordzilla:-)

First of all thank you for your reply and suggestions, however I have no clue as to how to do the mechanics and don't have the proper tools. I do of course have friends that do but I don't want to bother them as they are busy. Here is what the manual states that fuse 102 does;

Fuse/Relay
Rating
Power Distribution Box
Description
102 50/20A** Four-wheel Anti-lock Brake
System (4WABS)
module/Rear-wheel Anti-lock
Brake System (RABS) module,
Ignition switch

Does this mean if I pull this one, my ignition won't work? As I said I would rather disable the ABS temporarily for now until I can have it fixed properly:-) Thanks again and let me know what you think.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:27 PM

Ann8,
If the ignition switch is stated with the ABS stuff, then it wouldnt let you start the truck if you pull it.

Thats funny, on mine it only states "Front wheel antilock brake module, rear wheel antilock brake module." But dont go by mine. As long as your manual states that, thats what you go by if that manual is correct to that particular year truck.

One thing to check also is the fuse box in the cab where your left knee would be. "Check fuse/location 25; its 5amp, and in mine states 4 wheel antilock brake system (4WABS) Module."

Look that up on your truck and see what it says. If it is the same as mine, and nothing else is stated with it, then pull it. let us know what you get.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:10 AM

Good morning 03 fordzilla, again thank you for your reply. I initially looked at the fuse box in the interior. Fuse 23 is the fuse that controls abs but it also controls my signal lights, hence my looking into the distribution fuse box. I find it strange too that the ignition switch is included with the abs fuse. I was just hoping that it meant "ignition switch" for something else that I didn't need, lol. Realistically though, Ford just made it so I have no choice but to service the abs sensors and god knows what else. Going to phone a dealership today and see what I can find out. Thanks again though and if you can think of anything else, I would love to hear anything:-) Have a great day!
Old 10-04-2011, 10:16 AM

...also, does anyone know where I can buy fuses online? I'm in a remote area and need a fuse for my fog lamps and day running lights. Thanks in advance! :-)
Old 10-04-2011, 11:19 AM

Just got off the phone with a mechanic and he was saying that he's seen this problem before in a dodge, his customer did some homework and found out there was a recall on the vehicles made in the east only. Wondering if anyone out there is having the same abs problem, the abs warning light does not illuminate and this mechanic said that if it were the sensors the abs light would come on. In the mean time I'm taking it in to this mechanic to have them disabled (wire wise) until I can (if at all) have the problem rectified, I'm thinking I'll just drive it without, we all did it prior to abs coming in. :-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABS Fuse