Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

abs and brake problem in my 99 f150

Old 11-03-2010, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation abs and brake problem in my 99 f150

i have a 99 lariat f150 with the 5.4 motor with cutoff exhaust and k&n air filter(idk if either of those r needed but its all the mods i have done to the truck besides the 20 inch rims)
ok now my brake and abs problem
at first my abs light would jus comeone and off randomly and now its always on(except for when it rains) and it seems like my brake pedal has a mind on its own when i am constantly apply pressure. it pushes my foot bak and goes bak and then it will soften up and then bak my foot bak to where it was it and while this happens my brakes dont stop as well. and all i have to do is let go of the pressure and push on the pedal again and its all fine. it only happens like once a week or everyother week but when it happens it will usually happen for a few times and stops. but as long as i jus push harder and keep slowing down faster everything is jus fine and dandy. while all of this is going on my abs light is on.
oh and if i hit the brakes hard all 4 wheels locks up.
i know ly brakes are a lil worn but still have plenty of meat on them and replacing them before i go on a 1500 mile trip to cali and 1500 miles bak so i want to get this lil problem solved before i go.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Good day,
I would suspect you have a defective ABS sensor that seems to like it when there is more moisture in the air... The ABS module seems to think a wheel is locking up and tries to keep that from happening... That is the reverse pressure you are feeling in the brake pedal... When the ABS light is on, your ABS shouldn't be activating, which will allow the wheels to lock... Your brakes are fine, it is your ABS system that needs to be looked at... I would look into disconnecting the sensors and reconnecting them... If that doesn't work, start swapping them out...

Good luck and let us know what you find out, please!

Cheers!!
Old 11-03-2010, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am happy to know that my brakes are fine
i have had problems with my rear end leaking on the pass. side and have had to pull the axle out 5 times now to replace the seal and bearing(it keeps goin out even with a new axle but i have the work time down to 2 hours now) anyways
where are the sensors and hopefully they can be easily reached. and if its not the sensors what could it be
i have read sometin about the brake booster goin bad but that was in the 05 to present trucks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: abs and brake problem in my 99 f150