Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

99 XL electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 XL electrical issues

I have a 99 XL 4.2 4X4....I have no wipers, radio, or reverse lights when key is in RUN position. Radio and wipers work perfect when key is in ACC position. I have checked all the fuses, GEM looked OK....I replaced it anyway, I also have replaced the ignition switch. What should I be looking into next?

Thanks
Old 03-26-2015, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions
Old 03-27-2015, 01:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Electrical Problems

Do you have access to a multi-meter or just a simple test light. If all your fuses are good and i assume they would be if the circuits are working in accessory....(Just in case the suspect fuses are in the bjb(under hood/engine compartment fuse box) and are fuse number 111,113) I would want to check to make sure you are getting a signal from your ignition switch to the bjb when in run. This should be a yellow wire for fuse 113 which is for the reverse lights it looks like, And a light green and violet wire for fuse 111 which appears to be for the radio. So connect a ohm meter between the respective fuses and there wires at the back of the ignition switch to check for open wires or if you are using a test light place one end of the test light to ground and the other end to back probe the wire at the ignition switch. If using a voltmeter place the black lead to ground and set the meter to read dc volts and place the red lead on the 2 wires i specified with the key in run and you should get battery voltage. Please get back to me as to what you find and i can advise you as to further repairs. I suspect a problem in these two circuits as they as specific to the ignition switch being in the run position.

Devin

Quick Reply: 99 XL electrical issues