Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

99 f150 abs light stays on

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 f150 abs light stays on

Hey guys, I was driving my truck today and had noticed the ABS Light ON. "It stays on" When restart the truck it is OFF until I start to drive and then it goes back on. I was traveling down a very bumpy back woods Highway when I had noticed the ABS light on. Anybody had a ABS problem or know what might be wrong?
Old 09-14-2010, 09:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check your brake lights. If the brake lights are not working your cruise control sensor has shorted out and blown the fuse to the ABS circuit. If they are working the sensor could still be shorted. Check Ford's site, if you vehicle has not had the cruise control sensor recall done your truck could catch on fire at any second running or not. If you just put another fuse in and don't check the recall, you are going to lose the truck. If no recall done you should immediately pull the power plug on the cruise control brake sensor at the front top of your master cylinder or your truck will go up in flames, guaranteed. No joke.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:37 PM
C.E.O. Poorboy Racing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got offf the phone with ford corperate and the local dealership. I am stopping in tonight after work to have my recall done for free! I love getting free stuff at the dealership! lol. Thanks for the heads up by the way, I'm working on getting everything hemmed up on my rig before winter...
Old 09-14-2010, 03:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Insaneba
I just got offf the phone with ford corperate and the local dealership. I am stopping in tonight after work to have my recall done for free! I love getting free stuff at the dealership! lol. Thanks for the heads up by the way, I'm working on getting everything hemmed up on my rig before winter...
Ah, another great truck saved from flaming death, I feel good.
There is no excuse for a good truck dying because the recall was not checked or done.
I bought my truck on a Friday night and the ABS light was on. I was going to check the recalls on Monday. Saturday morning my wife said my brake lights were not working. I checked the fuses. Blown fuse, great!
I replaced the fuse no more ABS light and I had brake lights. While I was waxing the truck the cruise control caught on fire, luckily I was right there to open the hood and pull the power plug to the sensor or the truck would have burned baby and taken my other car with it! I mean it was pouring out smoke from the brake fluid about to burst into flames.
By the way, it took them 5 minutes to replace the cruise control sensor, the mechanic brought the tools and part to the truck and did it in the service lane and never even moved the truck.
I have posted this before but there is no need to waste a good truck.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:37 PM

I had checked on the FORD WEBSITE and my truck does not show a RECALL REPAIR DUE. I also checked my BRAKE LIGHTS and they are working fine. I did have some Electrical Work done on the AC just before this ABS Light problem, as a matter of fact I was coming home from the Shop. Don’t know if it is a ABS Sensor that has gone out or just a fuse went after I had the AC worked on? I have read that there was problems with the older F150 trucks with the ABS when I searched the internet. I figured this site was the best place to ask. Thanks
Old 09-15-2010, 09:49 AM
C.E.O. Poorboy Racing

I agree, I couldnt bear to think of my truck burning up, it's just getting to where I wanted it to be lol. Thanks for the heads up again, you did save my truck imho! Hey Redfire, I'd make sure the recall has been done, look to see if the switch on the end of the master cyl is red or black. Also look for a blue tag on the harness coming from the switch. If you have a red switch and no blue tag, you need to go to get them switched... Hey, its free lol...
Old 09-15-2010, 10:15 AM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Check and clean your abs sensors.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:17 PM

I have a black switch with a blue tag. Sounds like a ABS Sensor. Thanks for all your input. Every bit helps!

Last edited by F150REDFIRE; 09-15-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:33 AM
C.E.O. Poorboy Racing

That be it, they actually left my old sensor in, the red one. I did get a shiny new harness with the blue tag though. The service manager was in love with my truck too lol. just kept walking around it and complimenting it lol...
Old 09-16-2010, 10:24 PM

Took truck to auto shop and the ABS Sensor was replace today. No more ABS Light on, problem solved.

Quick Reply: 99 f150 abs light stays on