Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

98 f150 relays

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 98 f150 relays

i just recently bought an f150 with some electrical problems i'm trying to work out. first of all. my window switches and dome light switches go off and on all the time. I can hear the relay clicking, but why would it do that? Could a bad relay cause that? if so what relay would those to switches have in common?

question 2.

where is the actual horn mounted on a 98 f150, under the hood?
Old 03-19-2007, 03:44 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If a relay is clicking, something is wrong in the switch circit.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:24 PM

The problem I have is in the door ajar, dome light and door locks don't work. You are supposed to be able to hit the brakes the first time after startup, but mine won't go off sometimes. My driver side window will go up, but when I try to put it down, it just clicks at the fuse box. It will work when I hook it to the regulator motor only. One last problem is that I have to have the steering column up for the blinkers to work. What's up with all that? Larry
Old 07-23-2009, 04:15 AM

Default ditto

I have the same problem with my truck (98 V6). The dome light and door chime both don't work right now and today I heard a rapid clicking noise in the dash after I had shut off the engine and removed the keys. This was unprecedented and very disturbing so I disconnected the negative from the battery just to be safe. I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can answer. First, is this a dangerous condition in terms of an electrical fire? I've heard of F150s burning to the ground overnight in some rare cases due to electrical gremlins. Second, I've had this problem (minus the phantom clicking) a couple of times before and it seemed to be when the weather was rainy or very humid. Mostly, I want to know if the problem is a fire hazard. Any suggestions or information would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:50 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderrollin
i just recently bought an f150 with some electrical problems i'm trying to work out. first of all. my window switches and dome light switches go off and on all the time. I can hear the relay clicking, but why would it do that? Could a bad relay cause that? if so what relay would those to switches have in common?

question 2.

where is the actual horn mounted on a 98 f150, under the hood?

The relay clicking is most likely a GEM (Generic Electronic Module) controlled relay. A loose ground or a defective GEM can cause this. Check behind the in cab fuse box for moisture. The GEM is attached to the fuse box. A leaking windshield seal allows water to drip down on to it.

The horns are located just under the passenger headlight behind the bumper bolted to the rad cradle.

Quick Reply: 98 f150 relays