Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

98 after sitting 4 years...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 98 after sitting 4 years...

Just picked up a clean, bare bones 98 F150 with 4.6 engine. Has been sitting for four years outdoors in a farm field. A bare bones, crank window, rubber floor bench seat model.

A few problems to address.

#1 - MOUSE URINE SMELL! It reeked. Engine bay and especially the cab. Put Baking Soda inside and left open for a couple weeks. Then hosed it all out and started with soap and water and hosing it out. Now keeping it open and drying out. Got some 'guaranteed' spray stuff at the store and it seems to help after three times sprayed and hosed out. Am doing more with another brand after putting Coffee Grounds (raw, not brewed) all around the interior for a day in the sun. Smell is highly reduced now but still there. Have a 'stronger' brand of smell remover to try next.

Any suggestions that have worked for you are appreciated.

#2 - ENGINE SERVICE to get it running smoothly. Got it started, new battery and need to know what I may want to replace as a matter of course. Will start with fuel filter, plugs and go from there.

#3 - WHEEL BEARINGS. After sitting for so long I figure I better service wheel bearings.

#4 - HEAD LINER. The cloth is coming loose. Should I replace the whole thing? If so, where to buy?

#5 - SEAT. A bench seat that is clean and in good condition. Figure I'll take it out and really soak with cleaning material to get the smell out tho it seems pretty good. Seat looks nearly new so if I can get the smell out I'll be ahead of the game.

#6 - HEATER. In trying it while driving to town a couple days ago the truck runs a bit rough but the heater puts out no heat at all. I will be flushing the cooling system. It has anti freeze that looks pretty nasty so I figure a good flush and new anti-freeze will help. If that does not clear up the heater working do I start with removal of hoses? Or maybe the **** on the dash to regulate the heat?

ANYTHING ELSE I AM MISSING? If you guys know what else I need to check I'll do so. Most of the work I can do. Light mechanical is fine. Oil change will be Mobil 1. Truck has 125,000 on it. Has sat through 40 below winters outside, windows closed and summers in the mid 90's. Tires are surprisingly good but will be replacing soon.

Body is rust free but right side of the bed is crinkled a bit - will have a body shop address that.

Help and suggestions are appreciated as I will most likely keep this one to go with my 2003 SuperCrew 4x4 with the bigger engine.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:48 AM

Received 6,481 Likes on 4,617 Posts

The things I would add is changing the trans fluid, transfer case fluid (if it is a 4WD), and differential fluid(s).

When I was given my Expedition, I also used coffee grounds and baking soda to remove the cigarette smoke and stale/mildew smells. It worked really well for the most part, but it just didn't quite remove it all. What removed it all for me was Simple Green. Every and all things plastic were douched with Simple Green. It was very effective.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:52 AM

Received 6,481 Likes on 4,617 Posts

Also, I am unaware of anywhere to purchase a new headliner. I've seen a lot of Ford owners just recovering it. 3M sells a great adhesive called Super 77 that works, and I also believe they have brought a headliner and fabric specific adhesive to market now as well.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:07 AM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by white89gt
Also, I am unaware of anywhere to purchase a new headliner. I've seen a lot of Ford owners just recovering it. 3M sells a great adhesive called Super 77 that works, and I also believe they have brought a headliner and fabric specific adhesive to market now as well.
Yep, I have recovered a couple headliners. I always had good luck at a local material store, or you can find it in abundance online. 3M is all I have ever used, great stuff
Old 05-30-2016, 10:15 AM

Received 486 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Clark
Just picked up a clean, bare bones 98 F150 with 4.6 engine. Has been sitting for four years outdoors in a farm field. A bare bones, crank window, rubber floor bench seat model.

A few problems to address.

#1 - MOUSE URINE SMELL! It reeked. Engine bay and especially the cab. Put Baking Soda inside and left open for a couple weeks. Then hosed it all out and started with soap and water and hosing it out. Now keeping it open and drying out. Got some 'guaranteed' spray stuff at the store and it seems to help after three times sprayed and hosed out. Am doing more with another brand after putting Coffee Grounds (raw, not brewed) all around the interior for a day in the sun. Smell is highly reduced now but still there. Have a 'stronger' brand of smell remover to try next.

Any suggestions that have worked for you are appreciated.

#2 - ENGINE SERVICE to get it running smoothly. Got it started, new battery and need to know what I may want to replace as a matter of course. Will start with fuel filter, plugs and go from there.

#3 - WHEEL BEARINGS. After sitting for so long I figure I better service wheel bearings.

#4 - HEAD LINER. The cloth is coming loose. Should I replace the whole thing? If so, where to buy?

#5 - SEAT. A bench seat that is clean and in good condition. Figure I'll take it out and really soak with cleaning material to get the smell out tho it seems pretty good. Seat looks nearly new so if I can get the smell out I'll be ahead of the game.

#6 - HEATER. In trying it while driving to town a couple days ago the truck runs a bit rough but the heater puts out no heat at all. I will be flushing the cooling system. It has anti freeze that looks pretty nasty so I figure a good flush and new anti-freeze will help. If that does not clear up the heater working do I start with removal of hoses? Or maybe the **** on the dash to regulate the heat?

ANYTHING ELSE I AM MISSING? If you guys know what else I need to check I'll do so. Most of the work I can do. Light mechanical is fine. Oil change will be Mobil 1. Truck has 125,000 on it. Has sat through 40 below winters outside, windows closed and summers in the mid 90's. Tires are surprisingly good but will be replacing soon.

Body is rust free but right side of the bed is crinkled a bit - will have a body shop address that.

Help and suggestions are appreciated as I will most likely keep this one to go with my 2003 SuperCrew 4x4 with the bigger engine.
Jim, hope you did'nt pay too much!- after you find and remove ALL the mouse nests, and they can be anywhere!, a 50/50 bleach and water mix will help the smell- be glad no carpet is involved!- then put a shallow pan of white vinegar in the cab for a few days to help absorb the odors.
Check all your vacuum lines and fittings , check your wiring harnesses carefully- critters have been known to chew off insulation! Anything that has a rubber seal, o-ring, diaphragm, is subject to deterioration-including trans., axles, brake master and wheel cylinders,and shocks.
Interior parts ,you may be able to find those at a salvage yard.
Dont overlook the fuel tank either, rust may have formed in the tank and it wont raise its ugly head until you start driving it again!- i dont want to sound like a killjoy, but i went through most of this when i let my old mustang set for a few years!
Be careful in your endeavors- Regards, Bear.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did not pay too much. Got it for 'can you get it out of my field'. Key and title all OK.

Have done this before and the mouse urine small in a vehicle enclosed for some time is overwhelming. I have it about 95% gone before dumping the coffee grounds all around inside. Will leave them a day or two to bake in the sun with it closed up then a few days open for the breeze to circulate.

Then I'll spray more odor eliminator (commercial stuff) and see how it goes. More than anything all this combines with airing out is what I have found works but takes a few weeks to a month or two. I have the time.

Got it running by taking off the air cleaner tube and funneling gasoline into the intake. Would run and stop, run and stop and finally kept running. Had put in 5 gallons of gas with Techron additive and it runs OK on that tho a bit rough at idle. Then drove to town (9 miles) on our gravel roads and put in 10 gallons and a can of SeaFoam. Will be replacing the fuel filter in a few days as well as spark plugs. We'll see how it goes.

The finish has no oxidation and looks bright and shiny. No rust problems at all. Just a nice, bare bones F150 that was left sitting after the owner got sick.

Any suggestions are still welcome as I am probably missing something as I move forward.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:48 PM

Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Activated Carbon will absorb urine smell (ammonia) and other odor.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the smell, after you get it mostly gone, try using an air sponge to get whatever remains. But leave the hood closed because they're for indoor use
Old 05-30-2016, 04:58 PM

Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

*Coolant- remove the Drain Plug on the Engine Block to remove all sludge.
*Water Pump - Inspect the impeller
*Radiator- Check if Oil Cooler is not leaking internally
*Hose - Inspect and replace if needed
Coolant Cap
*Fan Clutch
*Thermostat

*Drive Belt
*Brake Fluid
*Brake Pad
*Air filter
Axle Bearing
Alternator Bearing
Pullley Bearing
Drive Belt
Fuel Cap
Universal Joint
*Tires- Expires after 6 years
*Fuel Injector Filter
Old 05-30-2016, 10:39 PM
2015 F-150 3.5 ecoboost

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Let some vinegar sit in the truck for. A few days. Just seen already mentioned. Lol

Last edited by OTG02; 05-30-2016 at 10:46 PM.

Quick Reply: 98 after sitting 4 years...