Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

98 4.6L w/Karr KS-2040 alarm engine cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 4.6L w/Karr KS-2040 alarm engine cranks but won't start

This one is a little strange (aren't they all) My 98 4.6L has a Karr alarm. A month ago, leaving Home Depot it would crank but not start. The alarm has been a little flaky so reset the alarm (thinking that there might be a fuel pump shut off connection to it) and then engine started. A few weeks later it happened again - same remedy - set then disarm alarm. happened a week later, then a few days later all with the alarm reset remedy working. Now finally - same symptom - cranks but won't start - but alarm set and disarm no longer solves the problem. The alarm still seems to be working fine.

Diagnostics so far:
Checked Fuel pump fuse - good
Swapped Fuel pump relay with horn relay (same part number) - no effect
Intentionally triggered alarm and tried to start - engine would not crank - this is actually good - starter disable is exactly what a tripped alarm is supposed to do per the Karr manual. There is no fuel pump connection mentioned.

Any suggestions? Mechanically I'm pretty good but short on diagnostic tools for these electronic beasts.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:11 AM
blue blood

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

most alarms are starter kill only . you can try to set alarm off then jump starter selinoid with key in the on poss. if it starts not alarm problem. pull alarm fuses test.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Badcat - for the quick reply. Understand pulling the fuse to test for alarm problems - duh, and I was trying to figure out how to disconnect.

Don't understand the part about triggering the alarm then jumping the starter solenoid - that part of the alarm is working fine - starter is dead when alarm is triggered. Help me better understand what the jumping the solenoid will show?

Thanks

Quick Reply: 98 4.6L w/Karr KS-2040 alarm engine cranks but won't start