Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

97 Ford Overheating issue!

Old 05-06-2009, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Ford Overheating issue!

97 Ford 4.6 (6-cyl) 2WD Auto.

Did some searching and it looks like my system might need a flush?

Here is the issue. While driving on the highway for about 30 minutes or so in cool weather the truck will begin to overheat. I will not overheat at idle and only seems to do it on the highway and will overheat a lot faster when its hot out 70+ out.

The way I bring it back to temp is blast the heat on full blast and it will settle right down to normal operating temp. I figured it was the thermostat so I put in a fail safe and it still does the same thing.

It overheated another time when I sea foamed it put it in neutral and reved the engine up to about 3-4k for a few minutes it got super hot.

The radiator also sprung a leak right at the top of the radiator hose. It cracked right in the fins in the top left of the radiator, I fixed that by putting some of that liquid radiator repair in and it actually stopped the leak!

I can't seem to locate the thread about how to check your radiator for functionality. I guess the next option is to flush the system? It has brand new fluid in it now. 50/50.

My buddy looked at the fan when it was moving slow and was able to stop it with his hand but after the truck got to temp the fan started hauling ***. I think that is fine and I guess it is disengaged at highway speeds?

Last edited by chowda633; 05-06-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:05 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Your assumption on the radiator needing a boil out is correct. Your trouble shooting or diognosing is right on. At idle or slow speeds, the fan and fan clutch is pulling air across the radiator to remove heat from the coolant. At highway speeds, its the ram air that removes the heat. Haven't been a fan of radiator stop leak or flushes, remove the radiator and have a radiator shop repair it, don't forget to tell them about the stop leak additive that you used. One last thought, t-stats set the minimum engine temp not the max temp. The efficience of the system controls maximun engine temps.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Good old Bill
Your assumption on the radiator needing a boil out is correct. Your trouble shooting or diognosing is right on. At idle or slow speeds, the fan and fan clutch is pulling air across the radiator to remove heat from the coolant. At highway speeds, its the ram air that removes the heat. Haven't been a fan of radiator stop leak or flushes, remove the radiator and have a radiator shop repair it, don't forget to tell them about the stop leak additive that you used. One last thought, t-stats set the minimum engine temp not the max temp. The efficience of the system controls maximun engine temps.
Awesome thank you! Called the radiator repair guys today they want the whole truck tonight so hopefully they can figure something out!
Old 05-08-2009, 12:57 PM

Well the verdict is in! Apparently its so bad that only 15% of the radiator is getting used! Time for a new one
Old 05-08-2009, 02:10 PM

asa

Last edited by Damage31; 06-30-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:23 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Very sorry to hear about the need of new radiator. It doesn't surprise me because of the stop leak. The s**t works so well, its plugs up everything. Keep that in mind for the next adventure in cooling system repair.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Damage31
How much is the radiator going to cost you? Just curious. Did you take it to a big chain or your local repair shop?
Got the radiator online for 130 off one of the sites. Much cheaper than autozone.

Shop wanted 450 including everything to do the swap.

Thx bill for the info!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 97 Ford Overheating issue!