Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

97 f150 Wiring Harness and Speedo Qestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 f150 Wiring Harness and Speedo Qestions

I just replaced the engine in my 97 f150 4x4 4.6 romeo with another 4.6 romeo from a 97 crown vic with less miles. now im working the bugs out i have a extra plug on the drivers side of the engine harness i have no idea were it goes its just after the oil sensor on the buttom at the very end of the harness. also now my speedo dont work but my trip still counts miles i wouldnt think thos two are related but they could be. iv looked high and low in my hayness manual too no avail. I havent checked the plug on my transfercase yet its barly 40 degrees and the wind is blown 90 too nothin out there ill probly finsh up tommro. so if u have any idea whats up with my speedo or where that extra plug goes let me know.

and all google seems too know bout the wiring harness is were i can buy one for every model of vehilce except mine LOL

oo ya every thing else seems too work.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:27 PM

make sure the VSS on the extension housing aka the back of the t case is hooked up. also there is a bunch of wires that go into like a box looking thing under the dash on the left side... anyway it has a bolt that goes thru it and tightens it down. make sure that bolt is tight because when i loosened mine once my speedo quit working and so i tightened it back up and it started working again... coincidence? i have no idea but might wanna try that.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:44 PM

ok ya i may not have goten the bolt tight. I just checked all the fuses and the plug on the transfer case and that all is good. ill check my plug and see.

Update: checked the connection tightend and cleaned still doesnt work but my cruise works just fine

so iv been doin some searching and found one other simalare problem with the speedo every works but it and the last post suggested that the speedo it self had gone bad. so i think i will replace all fuses with anything too do with it just for good measure and if that dont fix it ill replace the cluster.

still need some input one what the plug just after the oil sending unit is i cant find anything online bout it.

Last edited by bones2o21; 12-09-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:02 AM

LOL if u google long enough u will find what ur lookin for. i finaly found that plug and its just a extra for "That's an extra connector used for the "WABS" - 4 wheel brake steering which you don't have. I think that was on the Navigators or Expy's only." found the answer on another forum (http://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-...307-308-a.html) but i was worryd this might be causing my missin out problem that im still tracing out. i swear every time i do somthin major too this truck i end up speding a day traceing down a miss fire awell just a quark i guess.

so now im down too just tryn too figure out whats up with my speedo like i said every thing works including cruise and trip so my only guess is that its in the cluster itself maybe from sittin in the cold for almost 2 wks without bein ran every day. tommro it will be warmer so i will get the miss worked out i just replaced a coil pack for the 2nd time just out of autozone warrenty too

Update 12/10/10:problems solved STUPID AUTO ZONE CRAP lol bad plug wires was the cause of the miss these were the boch 70 dollar wires for my truck so life time warrenty but i had just bought them back in aug aw well now i have new coil packs wires and plugs so im set for a while. my speed started working again i hit 65 and taped on the cluster and it started working again so i asume its a lose connection not worryd bout it as it will be a spring project lol TY lifted for the advice

Last edited by bones2o21; 12-10-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by bones2o21
ok ya i may not have goten the bolt tight. I just checked all the fuses and the plug on the transfer case and that all is good. ill check my plug and see.

Update: checked the connection tightend and cleaned still doesnt work but my cruise works just fine

so iv been doin some searching and found one other simalare problem with the speedo every works but it and the last post suggested that the speedo it self had gone bad. so i think i will replace all fuses with anything too do with it just for good measure and if that dont fix it ill replace the cluster.

still need some input one what the plug just after the oil sending unit is i cant find anything online bout it.
i know this may be a dumb question but have you tried taking your cluster out and seeing if there is a good connection there?

also dont buy that autozone crap. become friends with someone at a ford dealership and get motorcraft parts. i know this is a suprise because it was to me but i get my motorcraft oil filters from walmart for like 3 bucks. ha

Last edited by lifted98_f150; 12-15-2010 at 03:02 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by bones2o21
LOL if u google long enough u will find what ur lookin for. i finaly found that plug and its just a extra for "That's an extra connector used for the "WABS" - 4 wheel brake steering which you don't have. I think that was on the Navigators or Expy's only." found the answer on another forum (http://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-...307-308-a.html) but i was worryd this might be causing my missin out problem that im still tracing out. i swear every time i do somthin major too this truck i end up speding a day traceing down a miss fire awell just a quark i guess.

so now im down too just tryn too figure out whats up with my speedo like i said every thing works including cruise and trip so my only guess is that its in the cluster itself maybe from sittin in the cold for almost 2 wks without bein ran every day. tommro it will be warmer so i will get the miss worked out i just replaced a coil pack for the 2nd time just out of autozone warrenty too

Update 12/10/10:problems solved STUPID AUTO ZONE CRAP lol bad plug wires was the cause of the miss these were the boch 70 dollar wires for my truck so life time warrenty but i had just bought them back in aug aw well now i have new coil packs wires and plugs so im set for a while. my speed started working again i hit 65 and taped on the cluster and it started working again so i asume its a lose connection not worryd bout it as it will be a spring project lol TY lifted for the advice
i should have read this post before posting my last comment. good job on findin out the miss... alot of times when you replace parts with autozone crap it doesnt have the same quality of factory parts. i have experienced this because i work at a dealership and we have had numerous aftermarket parts not work or fix the problem whereas when we put a factory part on it fixed the problem just like that.

you know what is a weird deal is that i had a charging issue with my 98 and i got frustrated because i literally replaced everything in the charging system and eventually ended up hitting the dash right above the cluster and my truck started charging again... havent had the problem since. weird. i know.

Quick Reply: 97 f150 Wiring Harness and Speedo Qestions