Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

97 F150 Front Differential Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 F150 Front Differential Problems

I am having trouble getting my front differential to engage. My 4x4 lights comes on, I can shift from 2 to 4 wheel no problem....but my front diff does not engage.....

I can see wires running to the front differential connecting to some device on the drivers side of the differential, but I do not know what they are for.....It could be a sensor or an electrical clutch mechanism.....

Therefore I am not sure if this is an electrical problem or a mechanical problem....

I am afraid if I take it to the garage as they will hit me with the most expensive fix when it could be something simple....(I do not trust garages unless I know as much as the guy on the other side of the counter)

Does anyone have an electrical wiring diagram that they can send me, as I am an Electrical Engineer and can read these drawings quite easliy.....

Also a pdf picture of the front differential would also be great on an e-mail ......If you do not have an electronic version, and have a fax please fax me something 403-375-0201.

Looking for help...

Thanks

Tom Chapman
403-836-8678

Last edited by tchapman_egr; 08-26-2007 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 08-26-2007, 05:10 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

It's great that you are interested in learning more about your vehicle - I suggest your best approach would be to go ahead and get ahold of a good service manual, like a Chilton's or Haynes. The Chilton's "D-I-Y series" for mine contains 232 pages of electrical schematics - it sounds like you would be right at home.

The local library sometimes has these for check-out, but I find they don't always have the manual for the particular model you need and they seriously frown on returns being covered in greasy fingerprints. A factory shop manual is great, but pricey and they tend to specify the use of mfgr. specific special tools with obscure numbers. Also, some of the online book sources like Amazon have these manuals. Look for a thicker one - the ones that are about 1" thick available at the various chain parts stores are OK, but leave out a lot of detail on the minor stuff.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

Quick Reply: 97 F150 Front Differential Problems