Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

'97 F150 4x4, Won't Start, No Power

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '97 F150 4x4, Won't Start, No Power

Trying to figure out exactly what happened last night. So I went tostart my truck and everything was normal until I turned the key to start. When I did, there was a brief clicking noise and then everything wentdead. I had no dash lights, dome lights or any power at all. When Iopened the hood, the under hood light was slowly blinking. It was theonly thing on the entire truck that seemed to have power. I checked thebattery and it read 12.4V. Just to be sure, I tried jump starting it andstill no power to anything except the slowly blinking light under the hood.

Since it appeared that the power supply was not the problem I wasn't surewhat else to do. I'll admit I'm not an expert when it comes to working ontrucks. Having an electronic background, I wondered if maybe somethingelectronic had tripped or was locked up. So out of curiosity, Idisconnected the positive terminal of the battery for 1 minute. As soonas I reconnected it, all power was restored to the truck. I went to startit and it started right up without any issue at all. And I had no troublestarting it this morning either.

I should also mention that it was raining last night. It definitely sucked to have to do all ofthis in the rain. So my question is whathappened last night? Was it a fluke? Did the weather maybe havesomething to do with it? Did it havesomething to do with the anti-theft system? Just want to know whathappened to make sure it's not going to happen again.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:03 AM

Received 144 Likes on 134 Posts

Default '97 F150 4x4, Won't Start, No Power

You had a bad connection on the terminal. When you turned the key it lost connection. Look for corrosion and clean the terminal and the cable. Remember that corrosion can also be present inside the casing of the cable. Also check your ground connections at both ends.

Quick Reply: '97 F150 4x4, Won't Start, No Power