Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

97 f150 4x4 with issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 97 f150 4x4 with issues

Thanks forum for being here! I have a few(related???)issues with a new purchase.It is a straight 1997 f150 xcab 4x4 with the 4.6...I purchased it from a friend (orig owner) and first off I will check if all recalls have been done. It has flasing abs(flashes 16 times ) and the brakes are a little spongy...check engine p4030 cyl 5 misfire,the cruise control is out,and rear brake/renning lights out. You also have to turn key on, wiggle shifter to neutral to start.I know thats alot but where should I start??Oh, It has 158,000 miles with very little rust. Thanks!!!
Old 03-27-2015, 01:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default F150 multiple problems

If I were you i would start with the brakes as they sound like they are your main saftey concern. I would recommend removing the wheels and inspecting for any leaks. I recommend to pay close attention to the rear wheel cylinders. Once the rear drums are off(If equipped) you will want to pull back the rubber dust seal on the wheel cylinders to check for leakage. If it is really bad you may see brake fluid all over the brake shoes. Another spot to check is the brake master cylinder fluid level and directly below the master cylinder as a leak at the master cylinder will show bubbling paint on the brake booster. A spongy pedal may also be caused by brake pads/shoes being very low on pad life as well. So a 4 wheel brake inspection is your best bet to start off. Disc brakes with pad life under 3mm or drum brakes with shoe pad life under 2mm should be changed.

As for the missfire. You could swap the #5 coil with a different good cylinder and see if the missfire moves or you could remove the spark plug and inspect it for proper gap and corrosion ext...

I hope this helps
Devin
Old 03-27-2015, 03:17 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by keso
Thanks forum for being here! I have a few(related???)issues with a new purchase.It is a straight 1997 f150 xcab 4x4 with the 4.6...I purchased it from a friend (orig owner) and first off I will check if all recalls have been done. It has flasing abs(flashes 16 times ) and the brakes are a little spongy...check engine p4030 cyl 5 misfire,the cruise control is out,and rear brake/renning lights out. You also have to turn key on, wiggle shifter to neutral to start.I know thats alot but where should I start??Oh, It has 158,000 miles with very little rust. Thanks!!!
You probably need a tune up. Plugs and wires will probably fix your misfire. Same engine as mine so no COPs. For the cruise control check the harness near the master cylinder. Depending on if the recall is done you may have a fuse there that could be blown. It's real small like a 1 or 2 amp.
The starting sounds like the linkage needs adjusting or the neutral safety switch needs replacing.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default f150 fixed

Fixed most of my problems...The cyl 5 misfire was a coolant loaded spark plug wire..upper hose must slowly leak into that hole.The flashing abs/shift interlock/brake lights was a blown position 13 15amp fuse..have to watch that one.I still have no rear running lights...any ideas?Also, when we turn the steering wheel I get a tinny spring like sound..to open up the column with the air bag its kinda tricky...

Quick Reply: 97 f150 4x4 with issues