Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

97 Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Alternator

K, so the truck died on the wife a mile from home. The usual symptoms for an alternator; battery light, fan goes off, lights dim, truck dies.

So I get a used alternator and a new belt (cause the old one was toast) and put everything back together. After a little boost, she starts and holds a good charge.

The truck runs great for 2 days. On the third morning, I started it and bam, the battery light comes back on and down go my gauges. Is there a way to tell for certain if it's the alternator again or a fuse/wiring problem?

Thanks.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could have screwed up the new alternator if you didn't charge the battery before you put alot of load on it.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:43 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe the alternator was not the problem to begin with. I had a 93 Dakota that was killing my battery overnight, and even when I was at work. I took it to a shop and they put the meter on several things and they said the alternator was pulling a couple amps when the truck was shut off. They said something must have broke on the alternator. I replace the alternator with a new one, but the problem was still there. After a more in-depth examination, it was determined that the voltage regulator was the problem. $10 later the problem was solved.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, guess I'll have to pull it and test it to find out for sure.

Quick Reply: 97 Alternator