Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

5spd, worn synchro

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 09:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 5spd, worn synchro

Hey all, I have a 5 spd in my 03 f150. 2nd gear synchro must be worn, when the tranny is cold it shifts good but once it warms up it will grind when shifting into 2nd gear. All others are good. Only 2nd. I'm assuming there is a little of the synchro left as it works ok cold but basically its about toast I think. I was posting here to see if anyone had a suggestion for any additive that may help a synchro issue? The truck only has 80,000 miles on it but the PO ran it in town mostly, and I assume he wasn't very good with a manual shift, thus the messed up trans.. I know the real fix, pull the tranny and get it fixed. Was hoping for an improvement in a can, otherwise it will just stay this way. I've already swapped engines. I'm not interested in the tranny too!
Thanks for any advise!
Old 08-15-2015, 08:57 AM

Anyone using Pensoil Synchromesh is their F150 5 speeds?
Or is their any product that will have good friction modifiers and maintain needed lubrication?
I am not sure if my trans has the right fluid in it. It is full. 2nd gear synchro is borderline toast. Works good cold, not good warm. Was hoping a proper fluid would help it out some
Old 08-16-2015, 03:40 PM

Any suggestions?
Old 08-31-2015, 09:19 AM

plenty of silence, must be I have the only manual shift with an issue. lol
Maybe I have the only 5 speed left, Ford won't even put them in a pickup anymore?? It is all slosh-o-matics now a days.
So from what I have read on this manual trans, it could be a matter of someone putting wrong fluid in trans? Perhaps with too much lubrication and not enough friction modifiers. I haven't changed the fluid yet, was hoping for a little advise here.
Has anyone here used synchromesh by pensoil in their manual shift trans? Or should I just stick with stock fluid and see what happens? Seems like Pensoil is a good product but not sure synchromesh is ok for the Ford tranny?

Quick Reply: 5spd, worn synchro