Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

5 lug to 6 lug conversion tech question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 10:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 5 lug to 6 lug conversion tech question

Hi everyone,

I am currently building up a 2003 F150 - some details about the truck:
03 SuperCab F150 blue jeans
4WD ( By passed vacuum plunger to a wire PTO style cable best upgrade ever )
5.4 3v
Truck has a little over 173000KM ( Yes I'm Canadian )

My experience working on vehicle - advanced but not a professional - consider myself a jack of all trades / master of none

I stripped over half of the truck fixing rust issues ( We love salt on our roads in the winter ) ended up replacing the back half of the frame

I am currently installing a 5 inch suspension lift from RC which I got for a steal - buddy of mine works for RC local supplier, and have been sitting on this kit for a long time - snatched the complete kit for less than $500! ( The 2.0 edition with blocks, shocks etc )

I started looking around for mag wheels as the factory won't do due to the needed offset ( 4.5inch backspacing recommended ). This is when I came to realize there isn't much love left for that bolt pattern around.

I figured I should be able to convert the 5 lug pattern to the newer 6 bolt pattern..

The back axle is straight forward, I can easily get axle shafts that will do, however I'm wondering about the front.

From 03 to 04, Ford changed from torsion bars to strut design, however just from looks the front diff seems very similar, however I know the 4WD actuators are now located in the wheel hubs vs. actuated in the diff itself - which raises some questions:

Would 04-08 front bearing / hub assembly work with my 03 CV shafts?

Parts isn't much of a problem, I have eyes on an '05 for pocket change - I could easily swap / etc - however I wonder if anyone on here has ever done it?

I scoured the forums, and other than yes/no shallow comments, and discussions going to conversion spacers, I didn't find anything ( I will not convert using wheel spacers )

I am building this rig right, taking my time doing it as a week-end hobby -

Grand plan / goal - once all done, to have my '03 with 6 lug pattern using as much of the original 03 parts as possible ( retaining torsion bar suspension if at all possible )

As an employee at the local Ford Dealership, I have access on all kinds of shop manuals, planning on digging some specs on the front hub / cv shaft and compared 03 to 04 and hopefully find some specs / measurements and see if it can be done. Planning on writing it all up fancy to have as a sticky on here down the road if this project is feasible ..

Thanks in advance for your help!

Luc
Old 09-07-2015, 11:15 AM

Received 426 Likes on 323 Posts

03 with a 3v? Lets start here, do you have any pictures?

Originally Posted by Mallet
Hi everyone,

5.4 3v

My experience working on vehicle - advanced but not a professional - consider myself a jack of all trades / master of none

I stripped over half of the truck fixing rust issues ( We love salt on our roads in the winter ) ended up replacing the back half of the frame

I am currently installing a 5 inch suspension lift from RC which I got for a steal - buddy of mine works for RC local supplier, and have been sitting on this kit for a long time - snatched the complete kit for less than $500! ( The 2.0 edition with blocks, shocks etc )

I started looking around for mag wheels as the factory won't do due to the needed offset ( 4.5inch backspacing recommended ). This is when I came to realize there isn't much love left for that bolt pattern around.

I figured I should be able to convert the 5 lug pattern to the newer 6 bolt pattern..

The back axle is straight forward, I can easily get axle shafts that will do, however I'm wondering about the front.

From 03 to 04, Ford changed from torsion bars to strut design, however just from looks the front diff seems very similar, however I know the 4WD actuators are now located in the wheel hubs vs. actuated in the diff itself - which raises some questions:

Parts isn't much of a problem, I have eyes on an '05 for pocket change - I could easily swap / etc - however I wonder if anyone on here has ever done it?

I scoured the forums, and other than yes/no shallow comments, and discussions going to conversion spacers, I didn't find anything ( I will not convert using wheel spacers )

Grand plan / goal - once all done, to have my '03 with 6 lug pattern using as much of the original 03 parts as possible ( retaining torsion bar suspension if at all possible )

As an employee at the local Ford Dealership, I have access on all kinds of shop manuals, planning on digging some specs on the front hub / cv shaft and compared 03 to 04 and hopefully find some specs / measurements and see if it can be done. Planning on writing it all up fancy to have as a sticky on here down the road if this project is feasible ..

Luc
Old 09-07-2015, 12:26 PM

Received 176 Likes on 139 Posts

Hi everyone,

5.4 3v

Luc
How hard was the 3v swap? If you did that I'm sure you could sas. Or maybe it was a mistype?
Old 09-07-2015, 01:03 PM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

I've wondered the same. The bolt pattern is so hard to find good wheels for.

I like how they're all worried about the engine..instead of the question.....

Just messing with you guys lol
Old 09-07-2015, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by ScrewThat

Actually you can get a lot of rims in universal 10 bolt. I have some.
Attached Thumbnails 5 lug to 6 lug conversion tech question-photo710.jpg   5 lug to 6 lug conversion tech question-photo434.jpg  
Old 09-07-2015, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by ScrewThat

His posts says he has a 2010, not an 03. 03's don't come with 3v. the swap is something every tom dick and harry talks about but only a couple have put their money where their mouth is and accomplished.

If he does have an 03 and he hasn't done a swap, then he has a 2v. If he doesn't know the difference between a 2v and a 3v I wouldn't waste my time telling him anything else.

It's nothing personal, it's just the way it is.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Wolvee
His posts says he has a 2010, not an 03.
Hi everyone,

I am currently building up a 2003 F150
Old 09-07-2015, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by the01kingranch
Things are not always as they appear grasshopper.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Wolvee
Things are not always as they appear grasshopper.
I wanna know why his "2010" has 5 lugs then.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:21 PM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by the01kingranch
I wanna know why his "2010" has 5 lugs then.
Cause he has a 3v apparently...

Quick Reply: 5 lug to 6 lug conversion tech question