Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

5.4 4r70w transmission install question.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.4 4r70w transmission install question.

So I have the 5.4 4r70w transmission combo. I'm mating the two together. Torque converter has 4 studs coming off of it evenly spaced, flex plate only has 4 holes on it so they line up perfectly. My concern is drain plug/counter weight from you tube videos it shows drain plugs coming through the flex plate instead of being on the outer ring.

That dumb factor being taken away to help line it up, does a particular stud need to line up and come through a particular hole on the flex plate? If yes how do I know which? I just dont want to get it all together and that little weight breaks something or causes undue vibrations.

Thank you in advance
Old 09-02-2015, 08:33 PM

Received 143 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by MagV
So I have the 5.4 4r70w transmission combo. I'm mating the two together. Torque converter has 4 studs coming off of it evenly spaced, flex plate only has 4 holes on it so they line up perfectly. My concern is drain plug/counter weight from you tube videos it shows drain plugs coming through the flex plate instead of being on the outer ring.

That dumb factor being taken away to help line it up, does a particular stud need to line up and come through a particular hole on the flex plate? If yes how do I know which? I just dont want to get it all together and that little weight breaks something or causes undue vibrations.

Thank you in advance
When I installed my rebuilt 4.6 with the 4r70w I just bolted the tq back to flex plate. No problems.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:14 AM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by MagV

Thank you in advance
It does not matter which stud on the converter lines up with which hole in the flex plate. Both are balanced independently of each other. The bigger worry is making sure the torque converter in "seated" fully into the transmission. Make sure when the block and trans. Bell housing are fully mated to each other and the studs are through the holes in the flex plate that you can still "wiggle" the torque converter before you instal the nuts. Good luck
Old 10-06-2015, 07:06 PM

Default new torque conv. verse an old torque conv.???

What’s up with Ammco Trans.??? Did any of you have problems with them ?? My 2008 f-150,144,000 miles, 4×4 tranny blew,took to dealer, wanted $3900 to replace,no way so i took it to Ammco,they been around long time so i felt safe. Price $2800(with 3yr warranty)had them do it.picked up truck,drove 40-50 miles then Trans error came on & would not shift,had it towed back to Ammco,couldn’t find anything wrong,said it was just a computer glich so they re-set it. Drove 230 miles in 2 day’s,did it again,towed back,this time,they replaced trans. they got from ford,picked up truck, drove 22 miles & it blew again. Towed back,3rd time. This time they said torque converter blew(on receipt said new 1 put in with new trans.).My ? is- do you think they just said they put in a new torque & used the old one?? How would you know?? you can’t see it. I think that’s what they did,it’s $400 on my receipt(for nothing if they did that). I think,the new trans. used much more force & the old torque couldn’t handle it & shattered it, What do you think? A new hunk of steel is tough to shatter but a torque 6yrs.old,with 144,000 on it would weaken it, what do you think?? Now towed back to them today(6wks later)because trans. cooler line blew,are you kidding me,rotted out,shouldn’t they of known they were rotted when they disconnected them from the old trans.?? They said they were trying to save me money,i thought they came with a new trans.,they don’t,so i said to them,that’s bull****,i said, every trans. you put in,every customer (like me) think new lines come with it!! When your paying $3,000 for a new tranny, there isn’t one customer who would say no to changing the cooler lines(under $40.00)while the old tranny is out,would any of you?? All this crap dealimg with Ammco went from 2-3 day fix to 15 days(cost me ($930.00) for a rental,& now have to rent another car because of the broken line. They Suck!!!! thanks
Old 10-06-2015, 07:29 PM
WindowGuy

Received 153 Likes on 135 Posts

Sorry you're hav ing such a hassle with your trans. I don't think new linew would come with the trans repacement, but if they're that bad, the shop should have mentioned that and given you the option to have them repalced
Old 09-09-2018, 01:18 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Wrong section

Last edited by zeeya; 09-09-2018 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Incorrect year to post
Old 01-15-2019, 10:38 AM

I just purchased a 2018 F150 with the 5.0 and FX4 package. Could I use a 1.5" spacer in conjunction with the Bilstein 5100 shocks set at 1.26" to safely lift the truck to 2.76" of height for the purpose of fitting 315/70r17 or 35x12.50r17 tires safely? Or does the stress of stock suspension geometry have less to do with splitting the work between an adjustable shock and a spacer and more to do with overall lift without relocating stock components? I thank anyone in advance for taking the time to help me out. I am new to the F150 community and am trying to save where I can to budget in other items like bed cover, bull bar, wheels, etc...
Thanks Y'all,
Jared
Old 01-15-2019, 01:45 PM

Received 6,466 Likes on 4,604 Posts

Originally Posted by jaredriley94
I just purchased a 2018 F150 with the 5.0 and FX4 package. Could I use a 1.5" spacer in conjunction with the Bilstein 5100 shocks set at 1.26" to safely lift the truck to 2.76" of height for the purpose of fitting 315/70r17 or 35x12.50r17 tires safely? Or does the stress of stock suspension geometry have less to do with splitting the work between an adjustable shock and a spacer and more to do with overall lift without relocating stock components? I thank anyone in advance for taking the time to help me out. I am new to the F150 community and am trying to save where I can to budget in other items like bed cover, bull bar, wheels, etc...
Thanks Y'all,
Jared
You're going to want to put this over in the right section. You've posted in the 97-03 portion.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:47 PM
AXXMAN

Default No Rub no Cut No Spacers Only 2” Level 35-12.5-18 Stock Rims

Originally Posted by white89gt
You're going to want to put this over in the right section. You've posted in the 97-03 portion.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:51 PM
AXXMAN

Default Sorry Wrong Thread

sorry Wrong Thread

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.4 4r70w transmission install question.