Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

4x4 problems again

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4x4 problems again

I am getting a loud cluncking noise when I engage the manual 4x4 and seems to be coming from passenger side. Ok so I've taken the little cover off the vacuum switch on the front diff to expose the round black switch and the surprise I found is that it seems to be stuck in on position, no matter if I engage or disengage from inside the truck the vacuum switch doesn't move, so with a long screwdriver I was able to move the little lever to I guess what should be disengaged position, I did this several times and then from inside the truck I move the shifter to engage and the vacuum switch moves the little arm on the diff but won't disengage it, so I guess my vacuum switch is capute??? Now If I get this right, I have been driving around all this time with the 4x4 engaged or the diff engaged?? I know when I move the shifter out of 4x4 the clunking noise goes away?? So what do you guys think the damage is$$$$$$
Old 02-08-2011, 04:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hopefully that ****er is strong otherwise you are gonna be making a heavy investment in reconstructing the transfer case. If it engages and disengages fine when you are done with it then don't worry about it. If it ain't broke don't fix it right?
Old 02-08-2011, 06:12 PM

Ok I put a vacuum gauge/pump on the vacuum switch, on one side it opens and on the other vacuum nipple the switch closes, so I guess my switch is fine......but this clunking????
Old 02-10-2011, 01:00 AM

Yeah well it seems to en and disengage now but that loud clunking is still there, at first I thought maybe it just wasn't engaging enough and that was where the clunking came from but even if I move the lever on the diff by hand and drive I still get the sound!

Quick Reply: 4x4 problems again