Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

4X4 Posi Lok Positive Axle Engagement

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 07:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 4X4 Posi Lok Positive Axle Engagement

Has anybody used this 4X4 Posi Lok or know about it. I know I've seen a product very similar to this made by Warn for ATV's that had full time 4X4.
It would let the ATV owner disengage the front differential.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have it on my 97. only thing is that the front wheels have to turn about a full turn for it to engage. you push the button in and pull the ****. on mine i have to turn the **** counter clockwise for it to engage. the **** is kinda like an adjustment ****. when you push the button in and push the **** back in it automaticly turns back clockwise. pretty neat setup and i love not having to rely on the vacuum crap.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:59 PM
Kill em all

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like a good idea, especially if you spend a lot of time off road.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by 97f1504x4
i have it on my 97. only thing is that the front wheels have to turn about a full turn for it to engage. you push the button in and pull the ****. on mine i have to turn the **** counter clockwise for it to engage. the **** is kinda like an adjustment ****. when you push the button in and push the **** back in it automaticly turns back clockwise. pretty neat setup and i love not having to rely on the vacuum crap.
I really like the simplicity of it that's for sure. So with the stock vacum setup does it engage without having to have the front tires rotate?
Old 12-22-2010, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Freddy Crewger
I really like the simplicity of it that's for sure. So with the stock vacum setup does it engage without having to have the front tires rotate?
not sure, the only thing is to make sure you engage the 4x4 before you hit a mud hole. i thought i was gonna try and hit a small one in 2x4 and i almost didnt get out and 4x4 wouldnt engage because the wheels werent movin lol. once it started pulling out and the wheels got moving it engaged and pulled on out.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by 97f1504x4
not sure, the only thing is to make sure you engage the 4x4 before you hit a mud hole. i thought i was gonna try and hit a small one in 2x4 and i almost didnt get out and 4x4 wouldnt engage because the wheels werent movin lol. once it started pulling out and the wheels got moving it engaged and pulled on out.
So if you want to shift on the fly all you do is use the POSI LOK? You still need to use your floor or dash mounted 4HI/4LOW to engage the transfer case or does the POSI LOK do both?
Old 12-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Aerospace Engineer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So if you want to shift on the fly all you do is use the POSI LOK? You still need to use your floor or dash mounted 4HI/4LOW to engage the transfer case or does the POSI LOK do both?
As far as I know, you still use the floor shifter or dash switch to engage the T-case. The posi-lok just does the front axle.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by BigIrish
As far as I know, you still use the floor shifter or dash switch to engage the T-case. The posi-lok just does the front axle.
That's what I thought but just wasn't sure.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:10 AM

you still shift into 4x4. the posi lok just engages the front differential
Old 12-24-2010, 06:40 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

yes... so if you were off roading you could just lock the front diff in... and when you actually wanted 4wd... just lock the shifter in...

Alot of oil fields and famers use this same thing so they can lock there trucks in 4low... and not have to lock the front diff in... they can run around in low lock and wont have to worry about the front end binding soe they can turn... i run the same type of set up on my 88 race trucks i ran a few years ago... its more reliable .. and once you throw a decent size cam in.. you lose your vacumme

Quick Reply: 4X4 Posi Lok Positive Axle Engagement