Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

4th gear vibration. maybe shudder?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Yeah it's a long...bed =P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th gear vibration. maybe shudder?

Just noticed the other day while driving my F150, when the trans would shift into 4th gear if felt like I drove over a rumble strip. It only has done it a few times. I checked the fluid and it is full, a little dirty but is not burnt (smells normal too). Is this what you call transmission shudder? People have said to just have the trans flushed and filled with new fluid and install a new filter and it should quit. Someone else said something about adding a friction modifier to the fluid but im not sure about doing that. Should I be concerned? Truck has 178k miles and I don't know if the trans has ever been rebuilt, but I know its had the trans pan dropped to change fluid and filter about 45k ago.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it seem like it it jerks at all? I recently had an issue with my truck, when it shifted into overdrive and the torque converter locked the truck would jerk until I forced it to downshift, It was even worse going uphill. After driving so that it would continue to do this phenomenon for a minute or two my check engine light came on. I scanned it and it turned out to be a misfire on cylinders 2 and 5. Replaced those two coils and all the plugs and it seems to be running great.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree!, sounds like a bad coil pack.

Quick Reply: 4th gear vibration. maybe shudder?