Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

4.6 PI Engine into non PI F150

Old 02-10-2008, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.6 PI Engine into non PI F150

I have been on here several times about this so here we go. I have a 2000 F150 4.6 (non PI), the engine blew so we bought a 2002 Crown Victoria PI engine out of a police car, upon getting the engine we have noticed that they have different heads and the f150 intake manifold will not bolt onto the crown vic engine because they are different patterns on the heads. So we have tried to use the Crown vic engine with intake manifold and all except we have changed certain parts to the F150 oil pan, timing cover, alternator, exhaust manifold and a few others that needed to be changed. We have gotten very far and have the engine bolted in, intake manifold on, alternator on, and others and have some of the wiring done. There are many things that are different on this engine then the F150 engine like the fuel lines are on the passenger instead of the driver side. We have been looking at the throttle body and were going to put it on but there are some sensor plugs that different and I must replace the f150 sensor plug that plugs into the sensor with the crownvic plug. But I do not want to just cut and replace things because I do not know for sure if the sensor on the vic throttle body does the same thing as on the f150 throttle body. I just would like to know if there is ANYONE AT ALL that has done this before. I just thought this would be a simple bolt in engine but clearly has become a headache. I have also seen around some adapters for 4.6PI manifold to go on a 4.6 nonPI engine but cannot find any that put a 4.6 non PI manifold on a 4.6 PI engine. OR maybe if there is an adapter to change the 02 Crown Vic PI throttle body to a 00 F150 throttle body because there must be one somewhere. If I cannot get this working I may just have to go and buy a 98-2000 non PI 4.6 engine and use It because I have been trying to get this engine working for the past 5 months. I dont wanna take it out because of all the time and headache we have been through it would be GREAT if we could get this to work. If anyone knows anything or anywhere to buy any adapters please shoot me an email at AUBTIGRZ2010@AOL.COM or just respond here. Thanks Very Much
Old 02-10-2008, 08:28 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Look at a 2002 F150 intake. It should have PI heads on it.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:04 AM
Paint it black

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

pi stands for pi performance intake...

im almost certain, this is going off for fox's tho, that the tuning from the factory was more agressive and it was mechanically similar....you shouldnt lose any hp but tq may drop due to shorter runners....

what blew on the old motor?
Old 02-11-2008, 07:34 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

PI means "Power-Improved" referring to the revised casting introduced by Ford in 1999. The PI heads are a significant improvement over the '96-'98 castings ITs the heads..that are PI. All 4.6 after like 2000 have PI heads on them.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:05 AM
Will work for parts

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default easy there

The PI does mean Power Improvement as far as the heads and as far as the tb sensor you can use the crown vic tb and sensor. All that you have to do is go to ford and get the wiring diagram from the crown vic and to your f150 and cut and splice i did the same swap on my 98 F150 with a 2003 mustang 4.6. As far as the fuel lines you will probably have to use braided line and AN fitting thats what I did at least. You should also see about 35 to 40 hp at the wheels for your trouble. Did the Crown Vic have coil on plug? If so you will either have to change it over to it or get a new ecm from an earlier F150. Have fun and good luck.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:22 AM

Ok, what is the tb sensor and where is it located? What other sensors are different and what else must be changed? What all will I have to splice and how much splicing is there? Is all I have to do just change some of the plugs that plug into sensors from f150 plug to crown vic plug? I also have the 02 Crown vic PI wiring Harness so that should help. Anything else that must be changed?

Sorry for all the questions but i need as much info as possbile. Thanks

Last edited by Aubtigrz2010; 02-11-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:25 AM

I saw in a Jegs catalog that they had an adapter kit for a set of PI heads onto an non-PI engine but I cannot find it online.

I will have to look for it tomorrow at work.

My '98 engine bit the big one as well and I found a Ford rebuild that came out of a local interceptor that I am planning on putting in my now defunct engine's place. Did you remove the cab to put the engine in or were you able to swap it without?

If you did remove the cab, any pointers?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.6 PI Engine into non PI F150