Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

4.6 engine making rattle sound at front of engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.6 engine making rattle sound at front of engine

Just had the head gaskets replaced and the heads surfaced.
That was no problem ($1800). The problem started about 2 weeks after we got it back, around 500 miles later. There is this light rattling sound at the front left side of the engine (passenger side). I took it back to the mechanic. After looking at it he said that it was the timing chain. It was stretched. It did not make this noise before and he put new tensioners on it while he did the heads. I thought this was odd. Timming chains stretching in less than 500 miles of driving? Ok, he said that he could put a chain on it, fine I told him to do it. He called back and said that he needs to put both on. Whatever just do it. Its all together and it still makes the same noise! He thought the chain was hitting the inside of the cover
Now some questions:

1) Can the timming chains stretch with only about 120k miles on it? This truck is not a work truck. My wife drives it around hauling kids and ball equipment. Comments?

2) Is it necessary to put all new sprokets on with the new timming chain?

3)Is it possible to put on the wrong tensioners?

Please comment on these questions and add anything to help me figure out what the heck this guy might be doing wrong.

Great forumn!
Thanks guys!
Old 03-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It sounds like your mechanic is just throwing parts at it in hopes that it might fix the problem instead if identifying the actual problems in the first place.

Have you had it looked at by another garage yet?
Old 03-05-2009, 03:14 PM

the tensioners may not be seated properly and the oil pressure is not keeping the chains tight . also it may be the guides. no way of knowing over the internet. we always put new chains and tensioners in when doing headgaskets or head swaps . also ask if he used the plastic tentioners or the steel ones. the plastic ones had a crappy seal that was worthless.............we always use the steel ones.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:07 PM

Having never seen these tensioners...what is not seating?
I am pretty sure he used the steel ones.
Does the oil pressure have to build up to make the chains tight?
Can someone please explain how a chain can stretch?
It did not make the rattle sound until about 500 miles after the heads were put on.
Could they stretch in that amount of time?

The latest after I talked to the mechanic today was that he thought that the sprocket was off a cog.
It was suppose to be at the 11 o'clock position but was at the 10 o'clock position and this was making the rattle sound.
Does this make sense to anyone?
Old 03-07-2009, 08:33 PM

chains wont stretch and even if they did the tensioners would take the slack out , the tensioners sound like they are bleeding off oil pressure or something . if they are not sealed against the head they can leak thus causing slack in the chains.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:15 PM

Well its back in the shop.
It wont stay in time.
Check engine light comes on and runs real rough.
Codes p0171 and p0175.
These are comming up because of the timming being off I think.
It takes about 50-100 miles and then the problems start.
Its got new chains,tensioners and guides but no new sprokets....could that be the problem?
Help!
Old 03-12-2009, 10:54 PM

its not the sprockets, i think its the tensioners myself either bad or not installed correctly. maybe whoever did the headwork forgot to put a oil galley plug in it and its bleeding off oil , no , forget that then you would have noisey lifters as well............

Quick Reply: 4.6 engine making rattle sound at front of engine