Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

2003 4.6 Engine Power loss and Miss

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2003 4.6 Engine Power loss and Miss

Hello, I have a 2003 F-150 4.6 Triton V8 Supercrew. I have had it for about 7 years now with not any real problems until lately.

When the engine is cold, i don't have as many problems. But when it gets warmed up, i have a large Miss in it some where.

Symptoms:
1: Large miss when idling but worst in gear.
2: Huge loss of take off power (Engine will stall a bit then catch it'self here and there with sudden bursts of power)
3: Shaking is the worst when around 45 MPH or any time it switches to Overdrive gear and brings it back down to Lower RPMs (around 1500 is the worst). Basically driving at 45 and go to speed up any = VERY bad stuttering and shaking.

Actions i have taken:
1: Had a leak in vacuum (cracked angled tube at the back very top of the intake part of engine (PVC tube? Comes from top of the head of the engine to there) Replaces the entire tube. Did not help the problem any.
2: Hooked it up to a basic diagnostic machine, Only code thrown was my O2 heater, which i have had this code since i got it. Took it for an advanced diagnostic machine, mechanic said my passenger front Fuel injector was bad, so i replaced it (which was easier then i thought btw) still did not fix the problem.

The problem is, i am unsure if the mechanic did the entire test, to see if there was any other problems. I was told that if one injector goes bad, the rest are soon to follow. I HAVE ran B-12 through it several times, and the added octane helps a VERY little bit, but does not fix it. The Injector i took out did have a hairline crack just above the bottom part where the fuel is sprayed out so i have no dought that it was not in tip top shape.

My first thought was that the fuel filter might be plugged up, but im not so sure that would be it. The stuttering is not a continuous issue, like when i give it the pedal to the metal, it will pick it's self back up, but still with a lack of power.

Already have spent ~$500 to check and fix things here. Fuel Injectors are $89 a piece, so if im replacing them for the hell of it, i don't have the cash for that crap lol. Had to work a month on a roof laying shingles to cover the cost of the repairs on this truck. I REALLY love this truck, and i have never had a problem with it till now!

So ANY help or insight will save me big $$$ guys! If anyone needs a better explanation of what is going on, just message me, and we can talk on the phone ect!
Old 08-08-2015, 03:13 PM

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Default 2003 4.6 Engine Power loss and Miss

Sounds like a bad coil pack to me.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:16 PM

The top arrow is the Hose, which the connector on the upper back side was rotted. The bottom arrow is the Passenger front injector i replaced (Which BTW the color of the BWM Injector was freakin HOT PINK >.< .............
Old 08-08-2015, 03:18 PM

Now i thought coil pack too. The Driver front Coil Pack is very loose, which i heard that is normal for this model. I PRAY it is not anything to do with the packs or spark plugs, as that is a nightmare to take care of on this model...... Is there a way to determine which pack is the bad pack?
Old 08-08-2015, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bovin
Now i thought coil pack too. The Driver front Coil Pack is very loose, which i heard that is normal for this model. I PRAY it is not anything to do with the packs or spark plugs, as that is a nightmare to take care of on this model...... Is there a way to determine which pack is the bad pack?
Since you dont have a code then just buy a cp and see if it clears up. Hell go take one off a junk yard truck and try it out. Its either a coil, plug, or plug wires.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:04 PM

So how would i go about checking on which Coil Pack is the one causeing all the commotion?
Old 08-08-2015, 09:38 PM

So how would i go about checking on which Coil Pack is the one causeing all the commotion?
I run the torque app on android and check my mode 6 data to tell me in real time when I have my misses. Check with some garages in your area. I think it cost me $5 for the app and $15 for the elm27 Bluetooth dongle from amazon.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:51 PM

Received 5,545 Likes on 4,623 Posts

No coil packs on the 03's. The last year for coil packs was 2000 for that engine.

It's the evol truth.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jbrew
No coil packs on the 03's. The last year for coil packs was 2000 for that engine.

It's the evol truth.
I dont know what I was thinking. Thanks for the insight. Too many beers but my solution still holds.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:29 PM

Received 5,545 Likes on 4,623 Posts

Originally Posted by jprevat
I dont know what I was thinking. Thanks for the insight. Too many beers but my solution still holds.
That torque or torque pro app is killer, - I know techs like to use it, - it's quicker to take it for a ride and use live data for all load levels.

Quick Reply: 2003 4.6 Engine Power loss and Miss