Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

2001 f150 overdrive light blinking and tensioner/belt issue

Old 11-13-2016, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2001 f150 overdrive light blinking and tensioner/belt issue

Hello

I'm new to this forum and hoping someone can give me an idea as to what I'm in for. I was driving through the mountains and noticed that my overdrive light began to blink. Never had that issue before. Everything seemed fine and suddenly I felt like my truck was slipping. I was driving approx. 50mph and then my speed began to drop below 40. I pulled over, middle of nowhere in the middle of the night. I noticed the belt was loose. I drove at 30mph until I made it home, also in the middle of nowhere. When i arrived, i could smell oil but there didnt appear to be any smoke and the car wasnt showing signs of overheating. I have to drive 20 miles to the next town in order to get to a shop. I realize that the overdrive light may indicate a transmission issue but I'm wondering if there's any chance that it could have turned on because of the belt. Please let me know what you think. wondering if I should risk driving it. I don't have much choice lol part of living in semi seclusion.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:32 PM

Received 1,353 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by SoliGurl
Hello

I'm new to this forum and hoping someone can give me an idea as to what I'm in for. I was driving through the mountains and noticed that my overdrive light began to blink. Never had that issue before. Everything seemed fine and suddenly I felt like my truck was slipping. I was driving approx. 50mph and then my speed began to drop below 40. I pulled over, middle of nowhere in the middle of the night. I noticed the belt was loose. I drove at 30mph until I made it home, also in the middle of nowhere. When i arrived, i could smell oil but there didnt appear to be any smoke and the car wasnt showing signs of overheating. I have to drive 20 miles to the next town in order to get to a shop. I realize that the overdrive light may indicate a transmission issue but I'm wondering if there's any chance that it could have turned on because of the belt. Please let me know what you think. wondering if I should risk driving it. I don't have much choice lol part of living in semi seclusion.
If it were my truck I would begin by dropping the trans pan and replacing the fluid and filter. My old truck did that and some fresh fluid remedied my problem. If you want to see if your trans fluid is burnt pull the dipstick and see what it smells like. You can replace the tensioner pulley and belt but that isn't where your problem is.

Did your engine temp rise at all driving on the mountain grades?
The following users liked this post:
SoliGurl (11-17-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for replying. No, engline did not heat but from the smell, I believe the transmission ran a bit hot. I did end up taking it in to the shop and found that it was the clutch expensive but I suppose it could have been much worse. Apparently there is still an issue with idling too low but that's unrelated and should be a minor fix.

Search this Thread