Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

2000 F150 Wiring from ignition to starter

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 F150 Wiring from ignition to starter

First thanks for looking and listening to my rant.

yesterday, my truck decided to try and start itself. I was inside at an appointment, only to be told that my truck was smoking. After coming outside, a few people said that my truck was cranking over for about 20 mins till the starter blew. There was smoke everywhere. Now I had the key in my pocket, doors were locked. So im assuming this is complete wiring issue? I have a new starter, but i am wondering where to look to find the cause of the problem, Ignition? Starting relay? something along those lines.

Again thanks for any information you can give me.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:37 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

There is the possibility the starter is the cause of the whole episode. Need to see if there is power to the tan/red wire at the starter. Its the small wire that comes from clutch or neutral safety switch depending on trans. If no power is there the relay on the starter just plain stuck. If it has power need to find out why. Here is a site for the wiring diagram.
Go here: search.ebscohost.com
USER: greatfalls
PASS: publiclibrary

Select auto repair, year, make etc..

Welcome to the site and where is Durand, Ill. I moved from Arlington Heights, back in 1977
Old 05-11-2009, 09:06 AM

Thanks for the info. I will check that wire today, to see what the deal is. I do know there is a red plastic cap on the starter, That was completely melted, but all the wiring to the starter, looks good.

Durand is located about 30 mins Northwest of Rockford.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:52 PM

Okay, so after discussing this with some by standards that where there before i got there. They said the starter was just turning over by itself, but wasnt engaging the motor. I also tested the wire and its coming back neg. Just plain strange.

Quick Reply: 2000 F150 Wiring from ignition to starter