Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

2000 F150 starts and dies

Old 12-29-2010, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 F150 starts and dies

Hey Everyone,

Completely new to this forum, and I know this topic has been covered (because it helped me immensely), but I signed up to share this story in case it helps someone else out.

Started my 2000 F150 XLT w/5.4L (80k miles) to go to work and it died. It completely turned over, and I thought it was running. Noticed that my passenger rear half door wasn't closed all the way so I figured the battery had run down. Jumped it off my wife's minivan and it started. Parked it at work for 24 hrs (i'm a fireman), and got up after my shift and drove it home.

It sat for 2 days, but when I tried to start it for work again, it did the same thing. This time a jump wouldn't get it goin like the last time. The truck would start, and would only stay running if i feathered the gas around 1500-2000 rpm. When I'd let off the gas, it died. Did this a few times before I needed a ride to my station.

After a little googling, talking to friends that are decent mechanics, and finally searching this site, I decided to buy a new IAC valve. Didnt even know what the heck that was. I am NO mechanic by any means. Talked with my mechanic friends and they felt the new IAC valve was a better place to start than a new fuel pump. Both price wise, and because it was actually semi-starting. AutoZone had a Duralast brand IAC for $45.

Located it this morning, put it on, and she fired right up. This site is great for advice and research, and I hope it helps someone else who's had the same problem. =)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 F150 starts and dies