Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

2000 F150 interior rattle

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 F150 interior rattle

I have a 2000 F150 XLT supercab 5.4 4x4. Anyway, there is a rattle coming from the passenger side that has been driving me crazy. Before anyone suggests something mechanical, let me tell you I KNOW its interior.

It has been happening now for probably around 2 years. When I go over a bump, sometimes, not all the time, there is a rattle from the passenger side. It sounds like plastic is rubbing plastic, or like something is loose and bouncing around. I read about a trick getting velcro tape and putting the soft side of the velcro tape so it is in between two rubbing joints. That supposedly quiets any rattles or noise. I did that on the glove box pads, under the selt belt tensioner, and where the seat belt rubs the plastic. Better, not gone. A few days ago I discovered the plastic shroud on the side of the passenger seat (around the recliner lever) was loose, and rattling against the metal bracket. I took it off, applied the velcro tape to the rubbing spots and tightened it back on. Again, better, not gone. I am now directing my attention at the passenger door itself because the plastic interior panel seems to have a lot of free motion when you touch it. Maybe that is rattling? Is there a trick to solve that?

Also, does anyone else have any ideas or experience as to what this might be exactly?
Old 08-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Romp It!

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

It could be a clip popped off on the door panel or the bolt that holds the door panel on fell off or threaded off the plastic screw hole, the one behind the interior door handle
Old 08-02-2012, 10:27 AM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Looks like you found the culprit - and as Almighty suggests, it has to be one or more of those clips are broken off the panel - and now it's free to drive you crazy. When you remove the panel, which is now probably being held on by the handle screw, you might find those clips in the bottom of the door shell. If you can retrieve them, then good plastic cement, AND an additional piece of plastic (I melted the end of a plastic knife onto the repair with an old soldering iron) will keep it in place.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:09 AM

OK, nimrod question then--how do I take the door panel off? There doesn't seem to be screws or anything visible.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:18 AM
DHG FX4 SCab

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Pop the oval trim piece off around the door handle. And pop the b pillar trim piece off on the door. Theres screws behind that.

Also, if you have a supercab the clips on the plastic b-pillar trim pieces tend to break at the top causing them to rattle.. from people hitting the clam shell back doors when closing them.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Romp It!

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

You mean a-pillar? My trucks a super crew so my door is different from your guys'
Old 08-02-2012, 12:16 PM

Do I need to buy new clips when I put it back together? Once I pop the inside door skin off, how do I solve the problem?
Old 08-02-2012, 02:50 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I found the noise in my cab today its my front passenger door. Looks like another weekend project
Old 08-02-2012, 04:07 PM

I am worried about breaking more clips when I take it apart to solve the rattle, and accidently creating more rattles. Are the clips easy to come by? Where would I buy them if I need to replace some?
Old 08-02-2012, 04:44 PM
call me Randy

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Pop the vertical piece off on the right side and there's a screw near the bottom there. Then the oval piece around the door handle and there's a screw behind that, pop up the piece with all the switches on it and undo to harnesses. Then lift the panel straight up and off and undo the light from the backside. Now your door panel is off, it takes me about a minute to take it off

Quick Reply: 2000 F150 interior rattle