Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

1999 Ford F150 XLT Triton V8

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Ford F150 XLT Triton V8

Recently (about a month ago) I purchased a 1999 Ford F150 XLT Triton V8. It was purchased as a work truck/second vehicle. And I must say I am in love.

But being a used vehicle it has a few quirks I hope to get handled (thus my search for and finding this -so far- awesome forum.)
  1. The electronic odometer is off and on. I suspect a lose connection. As yet have not had the time to pull the dash to examine it. Not a prime consideration at this time.
  2. The power door locks are a bit sluggish. Thankfully I believe I have a fix for that from How To Fix Failing and Sluggish Power Door Locks, an article I located the first day on this site (Thanks!)
  3. My biggest concern is the ever on "Service Engine Soon" light. The truck runs great but I am still concerned. With some time off of work finally becoming available I plan to get a Repair Manual and Scanner to find out what the computer has to tell me.

There is a bit of a problem (at times) which I suspect is connected to the light's presence: when traveling on the Interstate, Cruise Control set and the truck running fine, I unset the Cruise Control and the truck wants to shift up and down very quickly and hard two or three times. Also sometimes when not using the Cruise Control when I accelerate and then lift my foot from the accelerator it will, again, do the quick shift described above.

Examining the engine I noticed a cable to the left of the carburetor(?) (as you face the engine). I suspect this is connected to the kick-down? It goes from a lever to the computer located over the left front wheel well. Anyway this cable as a bit of slack in it. Is that normal?

Once I get a scanner (or get my mechanic friend to do a scan) I'll post what codes we get and provide other information. Hopefully this thread can detail my progress on getting this vehicle in top notch condition.

Thanks for bearing with my saga!

Be well, y'all!

~Bill
Old 09-08-2010, 10:31 PM
thread jacker!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that SES light may be the EGR valves sticking. its on with mine and a few other people i know with 97-03 trucks
Old 09-09-2010, 04:25 AM
JWo

Hey man, congrats on the new truck. I have the same truck and I love it too. I got it about 5 months ago. I had the same problem with the door locks and I did a really cheap and easy way to fix it. It is a little ghetto but it works really well and it is still running strong...

https://www.f150forum.com/f6/best-re...tuators-59568/

good luck
Old 09-09-2010, 04:43 AM

Cheap code scanner...
go find the rosstech website (google search for it).

Download the freeware version 4.09 - It's free
Purchase a chinese knockoff usb vcds cable that is compatible with ver. 409 on ebay for about $15 - Mine works perfectly for obdc II stuff

The software gets installed on a laptop. The cable is usb and will require drivers that come with the cable (make sure it does).

This is about as cheap as it gets for pulling diagnostic codes from your truck and it will reset the CEL as well. It is designed for more advanced features when used with certain German made cars (vw, skoda, porche, etc.) but as a code scanner it cannot be beat. It has a database of some thousand plus obdc codes. Just a heads up. I have a VW, which is how I heard about this software. It will pull codes from my Kia as well as work as a generic OBDC II scanner. Just thought I could save you a bit of money if you already have a laptop.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:50 PM

Bill, there is an article in here about the speedo. it is a cold solder joint on the back of the speedo. I had the same problem, heeted up the solder and it was fine. As far as the enging light, does it do it when you slow down? I had thatproblem too, It was a speed sensor in the rear end. it was a 12 dollar fix.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:53 PM

As far as the speed sensor goes, my overdrivelight was blinking also.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:25 PM

congrats on your new ride. I purchased my '99 f150 with 65k miles several years ago. It recently turned 230k mile. I love my truck. Your check engine code is likely EGR low flow. I have never had to replace the EGR valve. Both times I had to remove the intake and clean the ports for the EGR. They were completely clogged.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:49 PM

Thanks all both for the suggestions and the warm welcome. My Daddy was a Ford man, my Granddaddy was a Ford man. And I'm a Ford man, too!
Old 09-10-2010, 12:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well your truck doesnt have a carburator and I would just take it to an auto parts store and get the codes read for free.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:34 AM
2003 FX4 Supercrew

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Keep on keeping on. Yeah, carbs aren't really around anymore...

Last edited by 2002FX4; 09-11-2010 at 05:19 PM.

Quick Reply: 1999 Ford F150 XLT Triton V8