Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

1999 F150 Headlights wont turn off and tail and Inst lights wont work

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 F150 Headlights wont turn off and tail and Inst lights wont work

Hello I am new to this, My first post.
My F150 Headlights wont turn off and my Instrument Lights and tail lights are not working. I can't find a fuse for this and don't know what else to check.
Any Ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Kimberly
Old 07-16-2007, 12:49 PM

it sounds like something is backfeeding power to the headlights (so that when the switch is off, power is still being supplied to the switch.) this is probably related to the inst. cluster and tail lights not working, but just for sh*ts and giggles, there is a fuse box that holds about 5 fuses in the engine compartment, taped up, near the fire wall, check that box because it holds the fuses to your towing plug (tail lights, etc.) and if that doesnt solve both problems, take your truck somewhere like a Circuit City, and see if you can have someone take a look at the headlight switch.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:31 PM

its probably the headlight switch..
Old 08-08-2007, 07:27 PM

headlight switch or the headlight switch plug in
Old 08-08-2007, 09:23 PM

i had that problem(instrument lights and tail lights not working), it was a fuse inside the engine bay.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:46 PM
Old is Forever !

Thumbs up I had the same problem

I have a '99' f150 pickup, same thing ,headlights would come on as soon as the switch was put in the park position and stay on(even with tha light switch off) untill I disconnected the battery. Also noticed that the instrument lights didn;t work either. After much headscratching, I called the garage that I always go to and the #1 mechanic said "it's the headlight switch, happens all the time" . Before bringing it in and replacing a $200
switch, I happened to read your post and one of the replies was to replace
a fuse in the engine compartment. SURE ENOUGH a 15 amp fuse was blown. replaced it and everything's just fine. Saved myself $200 plus labor
Old 02-22-2008, 05:05 PM

I had a similar problem on a dodge dakota I used to own. The headlights worked fine but the tail lights and instrument lights would not work. After replacing a couple of fuses with no success I went to advance auto parts and picked up a new headlight switch and it fixed the problem. Just a suggestion that it MAY be your headlight switch. And as always its better to try a couple of cheap parts first before taking it back to the dealership or to a mechanic who will charge out the roof for something simple.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same headlight issue.

I am having the same issue discussed below in my 99 f150. I have replaced the headlight switch and the fuses. Any other ideas?

Originally Posted by philipd
I have a '99' f150 pickup, same thing ,headlights would come on as soon as the switch was put in the park position and stay on(even with tha light switch off) untill I disconnected the battery. Also noticed that the instrument lights didn;t work either. After much headscratching, I called the garage that I always go to and the #1 mechanic said "it's the headlight switch, happens all the time" . Before bringing it in and replacing a $200
switch, I happened to read your post and one of the replies was to replace
a fuse in the engine compartment. SURE ENOUGH a 15 amp fuse was blown. replaced it and everything's just fine. Saved myself $200 plus labor
Old 07-07-2020, 06:01 AM
mbb

Received 897 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by larrysemail@msn.com
I am having the same issue discussed below in my 99 f150. I have replaced the headlight switch and the fuses. Any other ideas?

My lights wont turn off via switch....sometimes.
The security module turns them off.

Ive been thru schematic and tested in detail with and without modules, relay connected
It shouldnt be possible. It requires having 12 volts where there is not supposed to be 12 volts for the lights to stay on.

Not switch, not autolamp module, relay,etc.

Somewhere, im getting 12v where its not supposed to happen....but does

8 years ago I gave up and just let the security system turn the lights off after I stopped the truck. They only turn on if autolamps turns on, or you switch on. They just can't be turned off if dark out. Only a problem when you're parked somewhere at night and you don't want your lights shining into somebody's window.

Last edited by mbb; 07-07-2020 at 06:03 AM.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same headlight issue.

My headlights do not turn off unless i disconnect the battery. Found out about the problem when I woke up to a dead battery. Also my dash lights and tail lights are not working.

Originally Posted by mbb
My lights wont turn off via switch....sometimes.
The security module turns them off.

Ive been thru schematic and tested in detail with and without modules, relay connected
It shouldnt be possible. It requires having 12 volts where there is not supposed to be 12 volts for the lights to stay on.

Not switch, not autolamp module, relay,etc.

Somewhere, im getting 12v where its not supposed to happen....but does

8 years ago I gave up and just let the security system turn the lights off after I stopped the truck. They only turn on if autolamps turns on, or you switch on. They just can't be turned off if dark out. Only a problem when you're parked somewhere at night and you don't want your lights shining into somebody's window.

Quick Reply: 1999 F150 Headlights wont turn off and tail and Inst lights wont work