Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

1999 F-150 ignition/anti-theft question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 F-150 ignition/anti-theft question.

Howdy y'all. I am new to the forums and hope someone can help me with a problem with my truck. I have a 99 F-150 that won't start. I had 2 keys for the truck, one worked perfectly fine, the other would unlock the doors and ignition, but the anti-theft system wouldn't let it start the truck. My wife has now lost the working key and my truck has been sitting in my driveway for a month or so. When I stick the key in the ignition and turn it, the wheel unlocks and the truck turns over but the anti-theft light flashes and the engine won't actually start.

I have been told my one mechanic that it is a 10 min job to just replace the ignition switch with one that I buy from the local auto parts store. I have had another one tell me that I just need to have the local dealership reset the computer so that it will recognize my key again. I had a 3rd person tell me that even if I replace the switch, I will still have to take it to the dealership for them to program anti-theft system to recognise the new key.

I don't know who to believe. Should I just spen the $80 for the switch and hope that is all it needs? The dealership says they can't even give me price quote till they look at the truck in their shop. I am quite a distance from the Ford dealership, so haveing it towed there is something I can't afford to do right now.

Anyone with knowledge of the ignition system on the 99 F-150 who can help me out with some info?

Thanks in advance.

Robert in NC
Old 09-12-2009, 08:21 AM

Yeah our year trucks have keys with a chip you need that specific chip those keys are like 150 bucks
Old 09-16-2009, 12:07 PM

WOW.... no one here knows anything about this problem?
Old 09-16-2009, 05:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need a PATs Key.

The dealer will have to program the first two. Any subsequent one, you can do yourself.

Quick Reply: 1999 F-150 ignition/anti-theft question.