Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

1999 F-150 Engine Swap / Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 F-150 Engine Swap / Upgrade

HELLO FRIENDS,

I'm new to this forum. My 4.6L Triton with 180k miles allegedly has lost compression in cylinder #8 and the best advice i feel that I have recieved is to "run it the engine to the ground" vs. spending an estimated $900 for a head job on an engine with such high mileage. Amazingly the engine still runs "EXCELLENT" except for a "very slight" regular vibration / offbalanced type of feeling while driving.

I was initially going to do a like for like swap with with a Jasper 4.6L for $2600 which I feel is very reasonable but I've decided to keep the truck for at least several more years so I thought it would be alot of fun to upgrade to a 5.4 Supercharged Lightning engine which Jasper quotes for about $4k or" a 475hp 460ci engine from cmengines.com for about the same $4k.

My questions at least for now are: :

what are the extra part's/labor I'll need and what is a ballpark I shouldexpect to pay for the additional non matching parts and labor of the higher horsepower engine vs. a like for like 4.6L swap.

Also, I'm all ears for the reasons I should avoid the larger engine upgrade vs. "like to like" 4.6L swap?

I dont have a budget in mind really but I'm looking to keep my costs under $6k total for the engine swap including labor and any additional parts and labor associated with this project. This is a daily driver but I'm looking at this endevaour as much as a hobby as anything else. My plans are admittedly "over the top" and include a substantial suspension lift (3" body lifty only had been done so far), functional ram air hood, and as much as I can afford over the next 18 months or so with a budget of about $1000-$1500 per month for this "hobby/project". Also0 what other upgrades would make the most sense as far as most bang for the buck mechanically and asthetically? MY questions to the community is what additional costs aside the engine should I expect?

Also, can anyone tell me where to look for performance brakes that are more robust than the factory ones? I seem to go through brakes once every 3-4 months on any and every car I've ever owned.

I'm scouring ebay, craigslist etc for custom :unique" f-150 parts for this project so if anyone has any for sale please email me tand let me know what youve got. I guess what I'm really trying to accomplish is a "SHOW TRUCK" or at ;east trhe best I can get with a $20k'sh budget over the next 12-18 months one project at a time.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Sincerely,

Tom Sullivan
Ellenton, FL
tsullivan@tsgglobal.com

99 F-150 Extended Cab
Mechanically (except for $8 cylinder) "MINT"
Cosmetically MINT
3" body lift
nothing else yet :-) just starting out this endevour

Last edited by tsullivan; 06-08-2008 at 10:03 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: 1999 F-150 Engine Swap / Upgrade