Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

1998 F150 problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1998 F150 problem

I am having problem with the engine i think. When it is in drive it idles very low and has a shake(Kinda like it might have a miss to it.) and when i am driving about 60mph and the rpms are at about 1500 in cruise speed it shakes pretty bad and sometimes my check engine light blinks. It usually is own due to the EGR valve but the blinking has me stunned. I am unsure what could be causing this and was hopeing someone else might have some insight.

I just replaced the alternator and battery as well as all the plugs and wires.

I am stumped

TIA for the help
Old 04-05-2007, 07:34 PM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Its the EGR. Take it off and clean the inside with carb cleaner. If you have cleaned it and still have the problem, replace it. Buy a new EGR gasket before removing it because it will probably tear up. Oh yea, the blinking is because it is getting real bad.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:18 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

You didn't post much info about your truck, other than the problem you are having and the parts you have thrown at it. If its a 4.6 then I agree that the EGR may be the problem. If its gummed up when you take it off, go ahead and take off the elbow that the throttle body is bolted to and clean the EGR passages too. They will be full if that is the problem. You also should replace the EGR position sensor.

IF that fixes the problem, get a tuner, take the egr crap off of the truck block off the holes and tune out the codes...

Welcome to the board.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:43 AM

I apologize for the lack of information. I is a 4.6L V8 Ext. Cab. Would the EGR Valve make it shake? Well, this weekend i will try to take it off and clean it. This EGR Valve is only 2 years old as i replaced it when i got the truck. May just be jammed up though.

And thanks for the welcome.

Odain
Old 04-07-2007, 06:59 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Originally Posted by Odain
I apologize for the lack of information. I is a 4.6L V8 Ext. Cab. Would the EGR Valve make it shake? Well, this weekend i will try to take it off and clean it. This EGR Valve is only 2 years old as i replaced it when i got the truck. May just be jammed up though.

And thanks for the welcome.

Odain
The EGR will definantly cause drivability issues. Thats why I say get a good tuner and turn it off then take it off.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:23 PM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think a tuner will be able to deprogram the EGR function on a '98.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:37 AM

WOW, i was always told the EGR wouldn't cause any real noticeable effects. As i was driving it over the weekend i noticed that when i was just giving it enough gas to keep speed is when it seems to shake the most. Maybe this better describes the problem a bit better.

I hope it will be warm this weekend so that I will be able to take it off and clean it.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:26 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Originally Posted by torkum
I don't think a tuner will be able to deprogram the EGR function on a '98.
If the truck is still an EEC4 then he will have to get a chip, but if its EEC5 then yes a programmer can turn it off.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by NGM
If the truck is still an EEC4 then he will have to get a chip, but if its EEC5 then yes a programmer can turn it off.

How can i tell which EEC it has and where do i can i get a chip or programmer to do this?
Old 04-10-2007, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest taking off the throttle body elbow and cleaning that. I have cleaned mine before and it was very dirty. In my opinion buying an egr valve will probably be a waste of money. The egr passages in the throttle body elbow seem way easier to clog than they should be. I also had a Comaro at one time and it did the exact thing you described. I was worse when lightly to moderately accelerating.

Quick Reply: 1998 F150 problem