Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

1997 XL Electrical/Interior Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1997 XL Electrical/Interior Upgrades

Looking to Add Power windows (maybe power door locks with remote if I can find a good donor). I will be yanking parts from a donor vehicle. Is there a checklist of sorts that I can check out before I go? I want to be able to get every single part needed before I head over to the salvage yard. They have several 97-03's that have working power windows (and door locks, I would assume). I can probably expect to NOT find the remote for the truck, but is there a way to get a new one without having to hit the stealership up?.

I know I will need some kind of Body Control module, as my current truck is power NOTHING, a complete base model (even has manual ODO). If this is looking like more trouble than it's worth, I'll pass on it, it's just a side project anyway, lol.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:01 PM

Received 5,553 Likes on 4,630 Posts

You'll need the GEM and maybe the cluster out of the 97/98 doner. Possible the PCM because I think those have digital odometers. That's ONLY IF you don't have your GEM updated to PW Locks and PW Windows which would be much easier. That will run you about an hours labor at service. You can get a FOB on e bay or something.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:07 PM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Like Jbrew said, you will need the GEM. You could take it out of a truck very similar to yours, but with all the options (pw/pdl etc). That is the one thing, besides the doors that will make this work. 97-98 has an analog mileage reader, so the cluster should work. You can always take the cluster from the donor truck, as long as it is 98 or 97 only. The 99 and up cluster will not work for you.

Another member has a post up right now on this. He has a 99 XL that he is trying to do this very thing to. There are also other posts in the forum about this very action. You might try and search this forum for more answers, but since you have a 97, I'm fairly confident you can make the upgrades, with only a GEM and door change.

There are other posts on how to bypass the GEM and make the doors work thru a relay rather the box. Anyway you go, you will love the power stuff once you have it. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 1997 XL Electrical/Interior Upgrades