Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

1997 - How to replace 3rd door cable

Old 07-05-2010, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 - How to replace 3rd door cable

I have a 97 F150. The 3rd door will not open. The bottom latch works but the top latch is stuck. How do you remove the door panel and then replace the broken cable?
Old 07-06-2010, 02:47 PM

Default third door

I had the same problem. Replacing the cable is very tough. The best thing to do is rig it. Idid this a year ago on mine and it has worked fine ever since. I cant remember the details but here it goes anyway. Take the two screws out of the window latch. Take a putty knife or a flat head screwdriver and pop the top panel off. Then the bottom panel. You can see in the door now. Pull the the cable and release the latch to open the door for easier access. The piece that conects is plastic and breaks easy. this is the part I don't remember very well. Take a pull tie and rig the broken cable to the latch where it is supposed to be conected. Hope this was helpful.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Locker>Limited Slip

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put the steel cord where it was supposed to be. 6 months no problems, no ties either.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:15 AM

Wink Rep(air)lace 3rd door cable

Originally Posted by trucksales
I had the same problem. Replacing the cable is very tough. The best thing to do is rig it. Idid this a year ago on mine and it has worked fine ever since. I cant remember the details but here it goes anyway. Take the two screws out of the window latch. Take a putty knife or a flat head screwdriver and pop the top panel off. Then the bottom panel. You can see in the door now. Pull the the cable and release the latch to open the door for easier access. The piece that conects is plastic and breaks easy. this is the part I don't remember very well. Take a pull tie and rig the broken cable to the latch where it is supposed to be conected. Hope this was helpful.
REPLY:

If I understand your steps, This first thing I need to do is to remove the screws around the window latch and then pop off the top panel, then I can remove the bottom panel. Then the repair is to RIG the broken cable at top with a locking tie strip? No welding is involved? or Cable replacement?

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2010, 12:28 PM

Wink

REPLY:

Is there a YOUTUBE video of anyone doing this repair job?????
Old 07-08-2010, 11:59 AM

I originally found the fix on line somewhere I don't remember where. I looked thru my stuff to see if i still had the print out, no find. When you look inside the door you will see where the cable came loose. On mine it was at the door latch mechanism. This was very easy fix for my door. I think once you get the panels off you will see what to do. Yea the cable is very hard to replace. The pull tie is great, mine has been working for over a year. Just don't ****** the door handle hard and it will hold up for a long time.

Last edited by trucksales; 07-08-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:43 AM

Smile

I originally found the fix on line somewhere I don't remember where. I looked thru my stuff to see if i still had the print out, no find. When you look inside the door you will see where the cable came loose. On mine it was at the door latch mechanism. This was very easy fix for my door. I think once you get the panels off you will see what to do. Yea the cable is very hard to replace. The pull tie is great, mine has been working for over a year. Just don't ****** the door handle hard and it will hold up for a long time.
REPLY:

Thanks for your input on this issues. I plan on tackling this job over the weekend. I was hoping to find a UTube for this. I work better from moving pictures.....
Old 08-11-2010, 09:16 PM

Default 1997 Ford F-150 my back door would not open

I looked here for some answers and the thread about the cable helped a lot.But I would like to add how I fixed this cable.After looking at it closely I seen that it was a lot like a throttle cable on a lawn mower On my door the end of the cable ware off meaning that the cable just passed throw the top bracket so I was able to reg the end of the cable with 3 washers and 1 rubber washer.Here is how it went.I removed the door panels found the cable and with a pair of needle noise pliers removed the cable.Then open the door by pulling on the cable.I removed the plastic peace from the tethered end and put on a small washer (The hole of the washer can not pass over the black Sheath of the cable)But has to be large enough to pass over the tethered end>If you take a ink pin and put it in the hole of the washer it should only go in 1/2 inch.The ether 2 big washers should pass over the shift off the pin.So if you need to go and buy these washers make sure you take a pin.The rubber washer is a lot like the ones in a garden hose But only with a smaller hole.And a little bit thicker.(OK here is how it goes first (1 small washer) then (1 big washer)then(rubber washer)then(1 big washer.And then put it on top of the bracket inside the door its hard to see but its there.And hold it in place and pop in the plastic peace that"s on the tethered part.I added ties on the cable just to make sure that it would stay on.IT SHOULD HOLD FOR EVER GOOD LUCK

Last edited by SpeakEasy; 08-11-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:01 PM

any pix? I have the panels off....do I pull the plastic sheeting off as well?
DOnt see a cable.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:33 PM

I just went through this on my 1999 F150. Yes pull the plastic sheet off, careful will need it later. Inside you will see a lot of metal brackes, rods and two cables. The parts the cause the trouble is the cheap plastic parts, in my case at the end of the cable for the top latch. Got it sort of fixed then the plastic connection at the top latch fell apart, can not get to the top latch because the door is now closed, a good thing, because there is no way to open it to get to the latch. I will keep trying to see what I can do. It seems that all of the door opening problems are based on the cheap plastic connections and not the cables. Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1997 - How to replace 3rd door cable