Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

1997 f-150 issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 f-150 issues

I have a 97 f150 that has 211,000 andi lkove the truck to death, but if it isnt one problem its the next, my abs light wont go off, the back of my truck is sagging bad, idk if its the springs or the shocks, the leafs arent broke,neither are the brackets, and when i hit higher rpm's like going from 1st to second gear (its an auto matic)my truck sounds like a monster truck, or metal banging in the motor. Its not exhaust either,it has leaks for sure, but no holes to create a noise like that. Im sure its not a rod knock because its only that quick second and never hear it again. I could defanately use any advice, im 17 and my local auto stores dont know crap. Unfortunately my father whos an awesome mechanic is in korea for a year for his controlled tour (air force) Im trying to gain as much knowledge as i can so anything will help,
Old 10-21-2010, 11:52 AM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Abs light is prolly just dirty sensors. Check those on each hub. The truck is 13 yrs old so springs do sag over time. Add some 2" Add A Leafs out there for around $50. Crank your T bars up front if it's a 4x4.

The noise your hearing could be a number of different things. You sure your exhaust is not loose? Could have a broke hanger causing it to vibrate like that.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:38 AM

Thanks for the advice, i checked out my leav springs and idk how in the hell i missed it, but my leaf spring shacles broke. I replaced those and the truck is 100% better. I still cant figure out the noise, i guess ill have to do some more research. Also, how do you crank your t bars up?
Old 10-26-2010, 11:04 AM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

There will be 2 long rods that go from your lower control arms to just under the cab(about underneath your seat area) and each one has a bolt for adjusting. You can't miss it. Turn the bolt all the way in for maximum lift. It helps to jack the front of the truck up to relieve weight and pressure.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:38 PM

Check the speed sensor on top of the rear differential, i'm thinking it's loose and is giving the. Computer diffrent readings so the light comes on. If the sensor was bad then the light would always be on
Old 10-27-2010, 10:18 PM

Well actually it is always on, ocasionally its not on, but 98% of the time it is, but now that i think about it, i was messing around in the woods and it didnt go on for a while, so i will defanately check that out.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:20 PM

Also does anyone know if its easy to replace a gas tank,once again i think my problems are over,and my gas tank is leaking gas, and how much should be fair on a used one? i dont have a lot of money as it is, i got a lot of winter pre-maintanance with radiator flush,tires,windshield,and now a tank.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by westtnfx4
There will be 2 long rods that go from your lower control arms to just under the cab(about underneath your seat area) and each one has a bolt for adjusting. You can't miss it. Turn the bolt all the way in for maximum lift. It helps to jack the front of the truck up to relieve weight and pressure.

My only question to that is will i need an alignment afterwards? Which i found them,like you said, cant miss them lol, i just wasnt sure.

Quick Reply: 1997 f-150 issues