Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

100k checkup

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 12:47 AM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 100k checkup

I got a letter from my ford dealer, and its time for my 100k checkup, and the only thing that I am suposed to do is get the diff fluid changed, but I think I coul dprobally do it myself, how hard of a jub is this, and are there any tourials on this online?

thanks
Old 12-24-2007, 12:55 AM
workin for parts!!!

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

rear diff- just take back cover off and let fluid drain ( very stinky stuff) clean diff cover and housing and put a bead of rtv silicone ( i use the black stuff) on the cover. let it skin for 10-15 minutes and put cover back on. refill diff with recomended oil and additive if it's limited slip. always good to check ring and pinion while your in there for broken teeth.

front diff- same procedure if it's got a removeable cover, if not i used to suck out what i could with a suction gun. ( or your mother's favorite turkey baster)
Old 12-24-2007, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New owner, 00 4wd w/ 110Kmi. First thing I did was get it into the shop for fluids, rear diff was very low and kinda sludgy, front diff clean but obviously less viscous than optimal, tcase was nasty black and way overfilled, drain plug still had factory seal so I'm at a loss with that one, figured one of the PO's mistook the fill for the drain, seals dont leak, but I'll be watchin it. In every instance I let it drain for 30 mins, filled, went for a 10 min drive in 4-hi (no not on the road, but not "OFF ROAD" either), drained and refilled. Im sure thats not everyones cup of tea, but it works for me, nothing wrong with a clean fluid flush.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:08 PM
workin for parts!!!

Originally Posted by ROCKING_NM
New owner, 00 4wd w/ 110Kmi. First thing I did was get it into the shop for fluids, rear diff was very low and kinda sludgy, front diff clean but obviously less viscous than optimal, tcase was nasty black and way overfilled, drain plug still had factory seal so I'm at a loss with that one, figured one of the PO's mistook the fill for the drain, seals dont leak, but I'll be watchin it. In every instance I let it drain for 30 mins, filled, went for a 10 min drive in 4-hi (no not on the road, but not "OFF ROAD" either), drained and refilled. Im sure thats not everyones cup of tea, but it works for me, nothing wrong with a clean fluid flush.
if it was overfilled, i wonder if you had a lot of condensation in it? was the oil milky?
Old 12-25-2007, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by 05 super
if it was overfilled, i wonder if you had a lot of condensation in it? was the oil milky?
My initial feeling was the same, but it was all oil, just real dirty.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:50 PM
workin for parts!!!

i'm trying to figger out how it was overfilled. the fluid can't get any higher than the fill plug or it'll run out. another mystery to solve
Old 12-27-2007, 01:17 PM

i'm trying to figger out how it was overfilled. the fluid can't get any higher than the fill plug or it'll run out. another mystery to solve
Its like Big Foot or Nessie......
Old 12-27-2007, 01:25 PM
workin for parts!!!

maybe they overfilled it in the factory. if they forced the oil in underpressure they may have been able to plug the hole before it ran out
Old 12-28-2007, 10:07 AM

maybe they overfilled it in the factory. if they forced the oil in underpressure they may have been able to plug the hole before it ran out
Doubtful, Im thinking it was probably a shadetree mechanic in his driveway, who meant well, but didnt take into account the incline of the driveway

Quick Reply: 100k checkup