Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

03 4.6 will not start after running fine

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 06:28 AM
Long Stick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 03 4.6 will not start after running fine

I have an 03 4.6 that was running fine. I went to the store and came home and let it sit for a couple of hours. When I tried to start it, it would only turn over and not start up. I tried my wife's key and same thing. When I turn the key once to turn on power everything works(i.e. horn, radio, a/c, etc). I do notice that when I first turn the key just to the acc setting the theft light starts blinking real fast and at the same time my digital odometer displays dashes where the numbers usually are. My battery is about dead from trying to crank it. I am not sure where I need to start. I thought it might be a clogged fuel filter but since the odometer is not working properly my gut tells me it is probably something to do with the anti theft. please help.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:28 AM
TheGuyWithATruck

I wouldn't rule out the fuel filter or the even the fuel pump yet. My truck had the same problem till i put in a new fuel pump but if the theft is blinking it would possible be the key or even the starter but my gut tells me it might be the fuel pump or filter. That be my lucky guess
Old 03-22-2011, 07:35 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Sounds like a PATS problem to me... Be sure the key is clean and free of debris... take all the other keys off the key ring.. leave one that key to try to start it... pull the in and out a few times and make sure the key still looks clean..
Old 03-22-2011, 04:13 PM
Long Stick

Just got home from work, truck started up.....now i'm scared to go anywhere.

Last edited by kenryan; 03-22-2011 at 06:27 PM. Reason: additional comments
Old 03-23-2011, 07:15 AM
Long Stick

Went to the store last night and when I tried to start it it was doing the same thing. luckily it finally started and I made it home. I'm thinking the fuel pump might be on its last leg.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:22 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

The next time it dont start.... have someone beat on the fuel tank while you cycle the keyswitch on and off
Old 03-23-2011, 07:23 AM
TheGuyWithATruck

It honestly sounds like a fuel pump problem
Old 04-24-2011, 09:06 AM
Red Dagger

Default Won't start quick fix

This IS an anti theft system problem.
An on-line search showed this quick fix:

If the theft light is flashing fast and the odometer reads all dashes, switch ignition to "ON" and leave it. After several seconds the theft light will begin flashing in a sequence (mine is 1 flash, then 6 more flashes). The computer is resetting, so leave it alone. This will continue for up to 3 minutes and the flashing will stop. Now remove your key and reinsert it. The odometer reading sould now display the numbers and the truck will start.

The permanent fix is currently unknown to me. I went for over a year after the first occurrence before it happened again.
I recently had a new key cut, but I still have the problem now and then.
We're probably looking at lots of bucks for the real fix.

I have a 2002 F150 XLT 4.6 with 173K miles. No major problems since purchased new.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:23 PM

yeah I had a similar issue once with a 98 Mustang GT. The problem was even though it showed that is was in park it really wasn't when it was actually in between park and drive. So it would start and I could not figure it out anywhere, not even the Ford dealership could figure that out. Then one day I was out and it would not start again and I got pissed off and hit the automatic shifted that moved it to the right spot and something made me turn my key and boom the engine kicked on. sometimes older cars have there issues you just got to learn to figure out what they are and either fix it or adapt.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:01 PM

My 2002 f150 4.6 has been doing this for the past several years every few months, I have replaced the key sensor, the fuel filter, the fuel pump assembly. This past week twice it just died. I can't seem to get a bead on the real problem

Quick Reply: 03 4.6 will not start after running fine